586,655 active members*
2,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sending Programs with auto-offset adjuster

We're setting up a machine to do two parts at a time, and our biggest issue is having our offsets overwrite one another. We have a programmer that's done a decent enough job writing something up to adjust T's, H's, D's, etc.. but it's a bit of a hassle to force the operators to keep track of where the offsets are so they can use the programmer's software to adjust all the offsets.

Another problem we have is we use a single computer to send/receive programs to 8 different machines.

It would be nice if we could find a software that has a tracing mechanism of sorts to show a list of what programs are being ran at what machines to keep offsets from colliding and overwriting one another, along with allowing some method of remote access from the machines themselves.

If anyone knows of such software that could accommodate either issue, we would be very appreciative of the help.

Thanks,
    Mythics

Most of the available DNC software and CNC monitoring software can do what you ask. The offsets may be another thing not all will be able to do this for you.

Have you ever looked into using G52 to make the same offsets work on two different parts?

You set all your Tool Offsets to a reference point that is higher than the highest part and set your Work Zero to a reference point somewhere on the table.

Then for the first part you have a command G52 Xx' Yy' Zz' where the x', y' and z' are the coordinates for the X, Y, and Z zero points on the part with reference to the Work Zero and the position you used for the Tool Offsets.

For the second part the command is G52 Xx'' Yy'' Zz'' and the x'', y'' and z'' values are the coordinates for the second part.

Once things are calibrated and the values are in the program you do not need to change or overwrite anything.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    You set all your Tool Offsets to a reference point that is higher than the highest part
    I may be misunderstanding you, but let me give an example to make sure what you're saying is correct.

If program1 uses T1, T2, and T3; yet program2 uses T1, T3, T5..

The software the programmer made up would leave the first program alone entirely, but the second program would be bumped up to T4, T6, T8.

The first program would be running while we set up the next part. The next part would need it's tools (among other things) adjusted up since the first program was already in use using T1/T2/T3.

After the first program would finish, we'd simply rotate the platform so that it's then running part2/program2 using the next set of tools. While program2 is running, we'd set up the next part that might be another new program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythics View Post
    I may be misunderstanding you, but let me give an example to make sure what you're saying is correct.

If program1 uses T1, T2, and T3; yet program2 uses T1, T3, T5..

The software the programmer made up would leave the first program alone entirely, but the second program would be bumped up to T4, T6, T8.

I guess the issue is the fact that we have so many tools, we can't make T1 always represent the same physical tool. That make any sense or perhaps I'm just confused?
    I put in the Italics and Bold.

I don't know whether you are confused but I am a bit .

The system I suggest works whether or not you change the physical tool and to me it simplifies this because the new tool is now set to the reference point on the table and is ready for use. When there is enough space in the tool changer to leave tools in and not use them it makes things very simple because there is almost no setup involved in changing to a different part or operation. I will mention that it is not that useful with umbrella type tool changers because sometimes you shuttle back and forth between tools on opposite sides of the carousel and this wastes time. With a side mount that prepositions the next tool no matter what the number the changes are all fast.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

The machine can hold 39 tools I believe.
    We have around 100 different tools that we use.

While program1 is running using tools T1/T2/T3, we are setting up the next program that may use T1/T3/T4. In the second program, T1 is a completely different tool, as is T3.

So we use this custom software to modify program2 to use T4/T6/T7. That way while the machine is running, we're setting up the next program and part. Once the first program is finished, we rotate the platform and start program2. Then we tear down program1 and start setting up program3.

I don't actually work with the machine, I'm just a third party guy trying to help out. I think I may have confused you by using the word offset, because it's the tool numbers themselves that are colliding with one another. Also, the parts aren't actually running literally at the same time. We were simply trying to set up a second part while the first was already running.

I honestly don't have any idea if anyone else has had a similar issue to the one I've listed here, but I did want to post what we've done to solve it.

We've contacted ProDNC, and they are modifying their software to accommodate our specific needs. They're charging a very reasonable fee, and since it will be within the software itself, there is minimal hassle on the shoulders of the actual machinists.

Thanks for all your help,
    Mythics