586,103 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

USB Flash Drive

I have a new HAAS TM-1P on the way within the next few weeks. It has a USB port for downloading and running programs.

Typically what size and brand of USB Flash Drives do you guys use.

I see they are available in sizes up to 16 GB. One of them even made mention about high speed. I am new to this and wanted to get one for use with my machine.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

John

John,
    Why not purchase it from Haas, I am sure it would be competitively priced

I envy you the USB,
    I am sure sick of the floppy on my system.

Ken

I've used a few different types even an external usb hard drive, and all worked for downloading, and FNC operation.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Hi Ken,

I may ask HAAS about it but I think they are pretty pricy when it comes to computer items.

Just thought this would be a generic item I could pick up at the local computer store.

I know what you mean about the Floppy drives. I have a couple of 3 Axis Seiki XL mills that I am trying to get rid of that have the 3.5 floppy drives on them. I also had to learn the DNC stuff for sending large files to those machines.

Now, you can carry "backup copies" of all your programs in your shirt pocket.

Hi Big Mak,

Thanks for the information on the external hard drive. Another option to keep in mind.

Can't wait until my machine arrives.

Thanks for your valued input.

John

Hi John,
    I was being entirely tongue in cheek in suggesting purchasing it from Haas, it would be 5 times or more what could be purchased elsewhere.

Ken

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1171672069828

2 GB thumb drive. Will hold thousands of programs. I doubt you'd need anything bigger. If you're using it for general use as well, like carrying files back and forth from work and home, it's plenty large enough as well.

I own the 1 GB model, and I carry it on my keychain so it's always with me. I love it becase instead of having a stupid little cap for the USB dongle that you inevitably lose, the plug actually retratcs into the body of the drive.

Hi Ken,

It is getting late and I missed your

Yes, when they want $1000.00 for 16 meg (not GIG) of memory for the mother board.

Oh well, guess I can save my time on that phone call. Ha Ha

Best Buy or Computer City here we come.

John

Hi Cory,

Thanks for the information and the link to Best Buy on the thumb drive. I like the feature of the retractable plug. I know what you mean as I am always real careful about loosing the lens cap to my camera. Just something else to worry about.

Sounds like a good solution and a reasonable price.

As usual you guys are the best.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    John,
    Why not purchase it from Haas, I am sure it would be competitively priced

I envy you the USB,
    I am sure sick of the floppy on my system.

Ken
    I just inquired about the e-net/hdd/usb upgrade. $3000.00 Im stuck with floppy like you.

071121-0846 EST USA

Ken and djr76:

If you do not like floppy why not use your RS232?

Hi gar,

Glad my new machine has the USB option.

I have a couple of older Seiki XL's that have the 3.5 floppy option and RS232 input. Going on the auction block soon.

These machines had an Anilam controller on them and I used their off-line software to DNC large files to the machine via the RS232 port. I also have a couple of interface devices from B & B Electronics that convert the RS232 Serial to fiber optic so that you can send the information over longer distances with little chance of communication problems. Computer in the office and fiber optic cable to the machine. That system worked fine for me.

John

Gar,
    That is the next best thing, I figured it would give me trouble hooking up so I just keep putting it off and walking back and fourth in hopes of getting a good file load, always a crap shoot, and I am always pleasantly suprised when it loads, something wrong with that picture. I don't think this issue is an exception either.

My computer is about 25 foot way do you know if that is too far for RS232.

Seems I asked that question a long time ago but forget.

djr76,
    $3000 !!!!!!!!
    They have hit their head as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    071121-0846 EST USA

Ken and djr76:

If you do not like floppy why not use your RS232?

Cheap skate boss

Hi Cory,

I made a little visit to Best Buy this afternoon and picked up a 4 GIG SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive.

It was on sale for $35.00 and it only cost $1.00 more than the 2 GIG model so I went for the extra space.

Thanks again for everyones input as this puts (1) the many things I have to do in anticipation of receiving my new machine in the completed column.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB210265a.jpg  

I have an old 128 MEG... yep... OLD that I gave $79.00 for back when they first came out it is made by Jungsoft. It works like a dream. I as well have a new 100 GIG that I use... gave $39.00 for it at Office Depot... it works no better... no worse! Ha! ... Just pick one. I'd sure think about it before buying it from HAAS!!! $$$$!!! I recall my old $12.95 floppy was something like $400.00 when I chose it as an option. I like HAAS... they have been VERY GOOD to us but for things like this I just buy normal junk! Hope this helps.

Good Purchase - I note thats its U3 - that means you can load (mount) your other programs on the thumb-drive and take from machine to machine -- It fools/tricks/??? the machine into thinking the software is mounted on it!
    Great find!
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Hi Ican,

WOW! 100 GIG When I was looking the largest I saw was 16 GIG. The trouble with all the PC stuff is it is obsolete before you get it home. I guess that is a good thing as improvements used to be hard to come by and now they seem almost automatic. That's a good thing.

Hi High Seas,

This U3 thing is new to me. Without going into too much detail could you give me an example of how I would use that. Any help would be appreciated. I need to do a Web Search on this technology. Guess this also means that my ole Apple 512 single Sided Floppy and no hard drive Apple Macintosh computer is now outdated??????

Thanks guys for your input.

John

Hey mate - you say Apple - I wanna BITE!
    Can't help there - but for example:
    say you got MS WORD - or something like that , or SW or whatever --
    You can (with this technology -- as I understand) load it on your stick - just like you were loading on your hard drive. Then at the next machine -- you plug it in - VOILA it runs even though never loaded on that second machine -- I bet there will be some "issues" for those program$ that "limit" or "sell" seats, but for much stuff thats the way it works. I have Ceedo (thats whats on my Seagate usb hd drive) which is a commercially bundled version of software similar to U3. U3 is more "Open Source based" as I understand.
    Yeah - maybe a few minutes read but worth it - there are a heap of "portable" options you have opened up for less than 40 bucks!
    Its not just a "stick anymore- its your OS!
    :cheers: Jim
    PS been watching this on the side 'cause got no HASS - but got the super-stick! (well its the 160Gb hdd but does the same thing!)
    Caution - your mileage may differ, objects may be closer...
    Moderators -- I do not advocate taking software and sharing irresponsibly - that would be not nice
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Hi High Seas,

Thanks for the infomation on U3. I have done a little reading and sounds really nice. Just some more things to learn in my ole age. Ha Ha

Yes, the Ole Apple 512 was my first computer. It only had one 512 floppy drive and no hard drive. Apple offered an option for an additional floppy drive.

If you only had one drive you had to continually change floppy discs to load programs etc.

My buddy called it the one drive blues. I am thankful for better days.

I understand about yours being a 160 USB Hard Drive. Didn't think they had gone that large yet with the USB flash drives. Oh Well, wait until next week and see what happens????? Ha Ha

John

Hi Ken

i have 16 machines wired up to 1 pc the longest run is 130feet on cat5e cable works fine using http://www.dncsoftware.net this software. No need to even go to the pc just call the program you want over to the machine.....You type in GET\mydncprograms\O0001.anc at the machine and press send rs232 then press recieve and hay presto the file comes

Regards
    pat

Page 1 of 2 12