586,106 active members*
3,002 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BOBCAD CAM V20 AND DX32??

BOBCAD CAM V20 AND DX32??

Can anyone tell me why I have so many problems trying to do a simple
    contour. Everything looks fine in BC but when I try to machine it it's
    not what BC shows. Can anyone that has this setup tell me what their
    settings are on driver setup Please. It seems I'm always changing these
    settings to get it to work right for a job. But not sure of the right setting. The post must be setup wrong.

Thanks
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by TRANSATOOL View Post
    Can anyone tell me why I have so many problems trying to do a simple
    contour. Everything looks fine in BC but when I try to machine it it's
    not what BC shows. Can anyone that has this setup tell me what their
    settings are on driver setup Please. It seems I'm always changing these
    settings to get it to work right for a job. But not sure of the right setting. The post must be setup wrong.

Thanks
    Robert
    Robert, what is DX32, and what post are you using? What is the contour? A search for DX32 found unicycle rims and deminsions for several non related products.

GeneK

DX32

Hello Gene,

DX-32 is a Bridgeport torq-cut CNC machine controler. And I have a post
    for that control. And any contour usually gives me problems, like odd shapes or strange circles. Sometimes it will come out fine but most of the time I have to try MANY times before the program will test out right.

Thanks,
    Robert

We are using a DX32 to do some complex profile miling in 2D with an Extrak - the TC uses EXACTLY the same controller as my unit has the 3D variant but is only 2.5D capable. The DX32 was used in a number of other machines as it VMC's, V2XT's and Ezpaths and EzSurfs

The DX32 is was an early 90's VMC based controller. It had its good and bad points. SOme guys find it mold work capable, some don't. We get good 2.5D work out of ous BUT we use very small steps and let it run REAL SLOW. It is NOT a rocket ship in our operations.

In our case, we had to have our post custom written to get around some of the shortcomings of the source code. This DX32 system was NOT one of BPT's finer efforts - in some circles, the DX32 was supposedly the source of a number of lawsuits that befell BPT during its waning days. Do a "bridgeport lawsuit" and there are a number of links to articles about the suits at the time. Whether they had/have merit is now purely conjecture. If anybody knows ANYTHING about the system, its the guys at EMI as they were some of the folks who designed and programmed it from the get go. They have pretty much takeon over any soft and hardware service for it

Literally there are guys who swear by the machine and guys who swear at it. We do both with our system. When we have to do CRITICal 3D work, we use the neighbor's Haas.

DX 32

I used BobCad ver 20 on a DX32 and had some of the same problems with the program making loops. Contact BobCad and they can help you I can't remember exactly but it had something to do with the tolerance. In other words if the tolerance in Bob Cad was set too high. The control would round it off and it would then return to where it started. If you have simple geometry this doesn't show up. When I had problems it was a bad drawing or an engraving with many very small lines. Search the forum also. This has been brought up several times before. Some guys call them crop circles.

I know this isn't a very good answer. Hope it might help you.