586,117 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Selling Machinery

I've been at this machining/CNC thing for about a year. In that time I have acquired ~5K worth of "stuff". I have been dragging my feet getting everything together, and made my first CNC cut last week.

So yesterday my finance tells me that I need to move to Honolulu by Mar. 1st. (She is taking over a business that makes 3x what I do) So I got a CNCed mill, lathe, and all this tooling that won't have a place on our 16th floor apartment.

My question to you guys is what would be the best course of action in selling this "stuff"?

eBay? Selling it locally? What can I expect to get out of this stuff?

CNC x2
    -SIEG x2
    -CNC Fusion 3-Axis Conversion (Ballscrews & Pre-Loaded Ballnuts)
    -Xylotex 4-Axis Driver Board & (4) 425 oz. in. Steppers
    HF 8x12 Lathe

...and tooling of course. I'll list that another time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks all!

I think EBay is a decent avenue for sales. Post a good description and good photos and it will sell. As with all advertising, your description can make or break the sales appeal.

That's my opinion.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

It would be nice to know where you actually are, geographically. There might be a Craigslist for that area (http://www.craigslist.org). That would be the easiest thing to do, eBay is a pain due to high fees and a global reach (which means having to deal with shipping, potentially), not to mention heavy amounts of fraud.

I do know that if you were close to me, I might be interested in some of your things...

You should also consider whether or not to take this stuff with you. You might be able to find a cheap-ish industrial unit to work in and buying all the stuff in HI would be hugely expensive.

Chris.
    (San Francisco Bay Area)
    List of parts sources for CNC builders - http://www.CNCsources.net
    Dyna Mechtronics 4400C Conversion - CNC bed mill w/toolchanger to Mach3 conversion - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50787

I apologize, I live in Southern Utah. Closest metropolis is Las Vegas which is about two hours out. I go down there enough I could arrange to take it down to a potential buyer. Thanks, forgot all about Craigslist.

I would take the stuff with me, but... Shipping, storage, and un-like So. Utah there is "stuff" to do in HI. I have a younger brother that expressed interest in it all, however IDK if he's worth anywhere near the tune of 5K.

If possible I'd like to sell everything in one go, but being reasonable I doubt if I can do that.

Use the classified section for advertising.
    http://www.cnczone.com/classifieds/index.php

Regards,
    Sven