586,102 active members*
2,664 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > To heck with this, I'm ordering a Xylotex board!

To heck with this, I'm ordering a Xylotex board!

The lowest price is not always the best deal. I've now been burned twice by purchasing low cost stepper controls from vendors off of Ebay. The stepmaster board literally burst into flames on my workbench. The other one, a Mechatronics 2 axis board, has one axis that craps out after 10 minutes of running.

I have a small hobby business restoring and retrofitting cnc machines. The Gecko drives have been flawless and I have used Xylotex before. I think on the simpler cheaper projects I will continue to use the Xylotex and I will use the Geckos on the larger steppers. Live and learn, buy junk buy twice!

HobbyCNC has a reliable board. Replacement parts available. Easy to troubleshoot and fix without having to buy an entire new board.
    Wayne Hill

Thanks Wayne. I hadn't heard of these before. There is a lot to be said for serviceability.

I have used cnc4pc.com without incident. Been running strong for nearly 2 years now. Good stuff, good prices, fast shipping and constantly improving.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Xylotex installed today and working great. I just need to stick with what works and not cheapa$$ it.

I don't see any stepper drivers on cnc4pc's site. I did order and receive a spindle pulse board from them this week and it worked out much better than the sensor I had rigged up.

I have the xylotex on my maxnc and I just put the gecko g540 on another bench top mill. With the underpowered 24V power supply the G540 still runs circles around the xylotex.

Just a little FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Fixittt View Post
    I have the xylotex on my maxnc and I just put the gecko g540 on another bench top mill. With the underpowered 24V power supply the G540 still runs circles around the xylotex.

Just a little FYI
    I am retracting my statement about the g540
    I too am probably going to purchase another xylotex, because it works......