586,103 active members*
3,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: no startup

no startup

turn main power on we have voltage. push the power button and the servos and the screen do not power up. this is on a 1994 fadal 4020 88hs

I dont know any thing about fadal but i would start by checking all connections in the back cabinet then check to see if any breakers are tripped
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

If you press the green button and the control does not come up, you most likely have either a bad K1 relay or a bad 1220 DC power supply.

Neal.

K1 burning

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    If you press the green button and the control does not come up, you most likely have either a bad K1 relay or a bad 1220 DC power supply.

Neal.
    Hi Neal,

This is the 2nd time what I think is the K1 is literally burning up on my VMC. first time I thought it was my fault as I was experimenting a bit, but this time it happended while the machine was idle for an hour after sucessfully running parts. I have a 1220-2 DC Power supply, but it cant supply the required +5,05VDC to keep the various relays from swithing off and putting the emergency lock on, so I am feeding the card cage with a standard PC power supply. This way I have been able to get enough power for the 1100-1D board to keep relays from swithing off.

Now the question is why the K1 solid state relay on the 1220 keeps burning?
    Just after it burned I checked the voltage coming in and it was about 125VAC. The specs say 120VAC but it is very hard to keep this as the wall voltage drifts a bit during the day. If I jumper down the main PS I only get 110 - 115VAC and then I dont get the 5VDC high enough to keep relays on the 1100-1D from shutting down.

Could it be that the K1 burns due to a temporary V drop? I am thinking that if the wall V drops then the DC PS main spool gets hot as more amps are drawn.

As a quick fix I was thinking of wiring the rest to another cheap PC PS to see if it has enough juice to keep the relays open. But then I dont get the K1 brown out relay. What is the actual purpose with the K1? I mean if there is a brown out then all V from the wall drops and it should likely mean that all power is too low so the whole machine just stops and then reboots once the Voltage is up again? Is the risk that the increased amp pull damages circuits?
    maybe a general Relay could be installed on the main 3 phase in that is set to cut power if 3 phase drops?

Sorry about my ignorance, but I dont know much about electricity and live on a tropical island in Thailand and the local Fadal people cant really help me.

All the best,

Andy

Edit; Ok now I see that it is actually not the K1 that has fried, but the SSR that sits next to the PS spool on the 1220 board. It does not seem to have a name, but I guess this is only acting as a power on off switchm so I should be ok with the normal power switch on the PC power supplies!

The K1 relay ion the brown out circuit is designed to shut down the machine when the 5 volt logic circuit drop too low. It will not reset it self but requires someone to press the green button to activate the DC power supply.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    The K1 relay ion the brown out circuit is designed to shut down the machine when the 5 volt logic circuit drop too low. It will not reset it self but requires someone to press the green button to activate the DC power supply.

Neal
    Thanks Neal!

Any idea why the SSR on the 1220 DC ps keeps burning?
    Maybe this is the point where I should stop asking questions and just swap out the DC PS but, living on a coconut island, we always try to salvage and repair the unrepairable as hammer and nails is high tech stuff here!

Andy