586,080 active members*
3,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Table Drive Motor Repair/Replace?

Anybody out there ever had the DC motor for the longitudinal table drive repaired?

My Bridgeport is an early model that, I have been told, off-the-shelf table drive motor systems will not fit. One of the two stator windings of my brush-type DC table drive motor is open. I haven't been able to find a direct replacement motor and I can't easily substitute a different motor because the worm gear is integral with the motor shaft.

I've considered winding my own replacement coil, but that whole process is something I have never done. A local motor repair shop didn't even want to touch it because their charges to replace the winding would be "way more than the motor is worth." They made it sound like nobody bothers to repair small DC motors anymore.

Alternatively, anybody out there parting out an old machine with a table drive motor? My Bridgeport is stamped Model 135863 and the motor is a BOEHM Spec No. 4640, Ser. No. BM-4879, 4.6 Amps, 90 volts armature, 100 volts field.

awright

This sounds like a typical X axis power feed motor. Have you tried a Bridgeport dealer? The last I heard they were available but at a cost of about 500 dollars. There were 2 versions, the standard torque and the high torgue. By counting the teeth on the ring gear you can determine that. For a while a Fracmo motor was also used. Ebay may be your best bet.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the comments, George. I'll check out your suggestions. I did talk to a few machinery suppliers back when the motor failed, but they weren't much help.

But I can do a lot of hand feeding for $500. As I recall, that's about what the motor repair shop estimated for the rewinding.

The motor has been kaput for several years and I have just put up with hand feeding for my mostly relatively small projects, but now I'm getting tired of it.

awright