586,544 active members*
2,690 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CAD/CAM

CAD/CAM

I have been debating for a while now on getting a cam system i have looked at several i just resently got a trial version of Alibra but i cant figure out how to make it do anything is anyone else using this and what do you think.

I have looked at bobcad same think didnt really understand it but im sure with a little time i would be easy (at least for me but i also want something that a person can pick up pretty easy) I have been leaning toward Feature cam it seems to be simple enough i have a demo of it as well and some of it still confuses me but like i said with a little time i would have it and i think anyone else would as well. But my question is is it worth $7,000 there are alot of others out there for a hole lot cheaper.

Just looking for some input im sure i have asked these questions before just dont want to get stuck with a system i dont like or have to relearn every time i open it

Thanks
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

I have talked to many people that have a hard time learning bobcad. If you want something inexpensive and relatively simple check out Visualmill at www.mecsoft.com, It depends though on the material and what and how your cutting. Every software has its specialty. Enroute makes it easy to program quick. Vectric is easy and cheap and works. Let me know if you are interested in any of these I might be able to get you a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mll View Post
    I have talked to many people that have a hard time learning bobcad. If you want something inexpensive and relatively simple check out Visualmill at www.mecsoft.com, It depends though on the material and what and how your cutting. Every software has its specialty. Enroute makes it easy to program quick. Vectric is easy and cheap and works. Let me know if you are interested in any of these I might be able to get you a deal.
    Do the cover mill and lathe both given the name Visualmill
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

I have you Bobcad/CAM with good success. I am using ver 21 though and haven't made the jump to ver 2007. It all depends what you need it for. If you need 4th axis or doing some complex stuff on your lathe then I would lean towards something else. Which one I don't know, because I might be shopping again when I get my new lathe.

If you're going to spend 7k on a CAM package, I would spend extra 3-4k and get a seat of MasterCAM.

:cheers:
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    Do the cover mill and lathe both given the name Visualmill
    No
    VisualTurn is purchased seperate.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca