586,106 active members*
2,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad with WinCNC controller 2.1

BobCad with WinCNC controller 2.1

Hi I am a total rookie at this stuff and would like to ask a few dumb points. I just bought a Plasma table(Practical CNC) that came with BobCad V19. It has a WinCNC controller 2.1

I would like to know what Nc-machine setup matchs the controller the best?

I seem to have a hard time getting speed out of the cut on some of the arc programs built into the BobCad software. I just can't find how to speed it up past 20 ipm. I have Help showing up next week but I would like to try to make a few practice cuts before he does. I have been reading the manual without much luck.
    I also have about 1000 other questions but this one is bugging me the worst.

I also have some import DXF file questions when I get that far. I think my computer is messing with me on those?

Thanks Scott

Scott,

Bobcad is just cadcam software. It has nothing to do with the performance limitations of your controller. All you can do in Bobcad to affect things is to alter the feedrate. That is not to say that commanding a high feedrate in the program, will result in a high feedrate at the machine. The controller can only do what it can do. So that is where I would be looking to make possible alterations to the controller setup. Again, the whole motor/ amplifier setup has to be capable of what speed that you want it to do.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

HuFlungDung,
    Thanks for the info. BobCad was sending a F10 comand for the feedrate, I just typed in F100 and was able to get 200 from the slide bar control. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere to change that to another #? I am just picking though both manuals to get some very basis stuff down. If I learn one thing a day I am a very happy camper.

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn1294.jpg  

Looks like all is well here. Thanks HU. Good luck Scott. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to call us at 727-489-0003 for help.
    Sincerely,
    CNC Dude

Scott,

You may also want to examine the tool depth settings icon. You do not want to change the values for tool up and tool down but the feed rates are located at the bottom of that window. You can change them to whatever you would wish in this view just make sure you put an "F" in front of any value you type in.

Regards

Thanks guys for the info.
    I was also wondering what the best way to import a DXF file into the software. I have lots to learn about this whole thing.Could I bring it in from a program like Adobe Streamline? (More leanring) Or would some other program work better. I would just like to take a scan of a picture and import it into Bobcad to work with it or even straight into the control unit itself.

Scott

Dear Scott,
    You would import the DXF file just as you would an IGES or STEP file. File "OPEN" and then double click on the file to bring it in. We are preparing to release a product called BobART. This will allow you to turn a Bitmap, jpeg, gif or png file into 3D profiling toolpath automatically inside of the BobCAD system for a flat, ball or Vee cutter. We are finalizing a few things on it and the manual is at print. Keep an eye on our website for more details this week.
    Sincerely,
    Chris/CNC Dude

Chris,
    will it have other features to help in the area of plasma burning?
    I have not explored the software I got all that much. My torch height control was haywire. They are sending a new one out. I have finally been able to import tiff files into my adobe streamline to change them into a dxf so then I can get them into Bobcad.
    I am sure I can get other files to work too. More reading!!!

Is there a easy way to set the software up for lead in and lead out paths for the plasma torch? Like some place it would remember so I could just auto punch it in? I am coming at this stuff from a total Newbe and am trying to speed up things or at least Know if these things are possible.

Thanks,
    Scott

PS- (The One) the tool depth Icon did the trick on the speed issue.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V
    HuFlungDung,
    Thanks for the info. BobCad was sending a F10 comand for the feedrate, I just typed in F100 and was able to get 200 from the slide bar control. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere to change that to another #? I am just picking though both manuals to get some very basis stuff down. If I learn one thing a day I am a very happy camper.

Scott

The R value on the axisvel line in the wincnc.ini file is your default rapid and max feed rate. You can raise this to raise your max feed rate but besure your drives and motors can handle the speeds that you software can output.

I would suggest watching some of the training videos linked from the tutorial threads in the bobcad forum (up one lvl to see the thread).

Here is a direct link to download the approach /depart video made by Sorin. He does the training seminars for Bobcad.

http://savefile.com/files/3603165

All Sorin's videos are based on version 20 so take that to heart while watching. Also you may like to check out Bobcad's support forums at bobcad.com.