586,080 active members*
3,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > CNC Madness (Restoring old parts)

Talking CNC Madness (Restoring old parts)

I'm building a big 4x8 cnc router. But it is very expensive. So, I have mostly been buying used or surplus items to construct it.

One such item was a Cutler-Hammer on/off switch. It is just a box with two switches mounted in it. It is a big beastly looking thing with a steel case and molded aluminum front. Rated at 600v, both switches can be used as normally-open or normally-closed. I was very glad to get it and was very happy with the purchase. But then I noticed how ugly it was. It looked like it had been hand painted with white house paint, and they had got paint all over the buttons as well.
    So, off came the case so I could clean it all up. I used paint stripper to remove the nasty whitewash. I then sanded everything smooth. Using 80, then 120, then 250 grit sandpaper. I painted the steel box gray, first with primer then with a good brand of enamel. Then I took a Dremal with polishing compound to shine the aluminum front which I hadn't painted. It is so shiney you can see your reflection in it. The buttons cleaned up well and came out perfect.

So now I'm looking at this beautiful switch and thinking...it took two whole days to restore that thing. Two days I could have used much more productively. I mean, I spent two days so I could have a shiney switch! LOL.
    I think "obsession" doesn't even begin to explain my madness at this point. I'm beginning to think my I.Q. is dwindling at about the same rate as my bank account!

Oh well, now if I could just figure out how to restore the tiny little plaque with the painted Cutler-Hammer logo that was attached to the switch. It's about 1/3 missing because of the paint stripper. I didn't even know it was there till the white paint was removed....

P.S. Anyone else restore old parts for their machine? Or is it just me? It's just me isn't it....hahaha.

Old parts are often better parts. Just because it's old and dirty doesn't mean it's worthless. I often look for the old ugly stuff because you can usually get it for almost nothing and once in a while they will pay you to take it. Putting in sweat equity is part of this hobby, sport, extra curriculer activity, or what ever you want to call it I think. Although I agree 2 days might be a bit much for a pretty switch. But each of us has their own thing to do. You spent 2 days on a switch that I would not have done, probably would have hit it with a wire brush and painted it again, but then I may spend 2 days on something you wouldn't even touch. If your happy with it that's all that counts! cheers Ron

A friend of mine just got a chainsaw for free. It had a broken fuel line. He has since taken the whold thing apart, down to every last bit of the engine, so that he can paint all of the pieces, and polish the magnesium pieces. I told him, "Its a ****** chainsaw Will!" I restore old car parts to use on hot rods, but would just fix and use the chainsaw. To each his own I guess. I think that obsession can be good, as it seems to breed perseverence. Too much obsessing though, can lead to a project never getting done.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)