586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

marposs probe

what it the difference between the marposs probe and the wireless besides being wireless and cost difference. the web site is very vague

Sure wish someone would help us out. I'd like to know the difference between the Marposs and Renishaw probes myself.

Probing System

Hi Guys,

You may want to do a search on Renishaw? I found this link and it was interesting reading as it generally discussed both the Renishaw and Marpross systems.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...light=Renishaw

I am a newbie to the CNC world and just ordered a HAAS TM-1P with the Renishaw Wireless Probe and Tool Setter. My local HAAS Engineer always has a smile on his face when talking about the Renishaw Wireless Probe and Tool Setter system.

I received a demo on the unit at my local HAAS Factory Outlet during HAAS Days and was pretty impressed with its operation. The HAAS Engineer did a probe on the ID of a circular pocket and had me write down the coordinates. He then erased the number and reprobed it and it came up with exactly the same number. I think??? he said something about 2 tenths accuracy but his demo was right on.

You may want to talk to your local HAAS Sales Representative. More than likely he will be able to give you a contact name and phone number of both the Renishaw and Marpross technical representatives and also give you some information that he may have accumulated in dealing with both systems.

Just thought this may be of some help.

I will give you guys an update from a "newbies prespective" after I receive my machine and get a chance to use the wireless probing and tool setting system from Renishaw.

John

thanks

thanks for the info. I am a little upset I purchased a tmp3 and purchased the marposs system I also purchased coordinate rotation and scaling and spindle orientation seperatly sounds like I spent 1700 bucks I did not have to

What was up with your salesman? They're supposed to catch stuff like that, suggest 'value option packages' and so on.

So the Marposs option didn't come with Rotation & Scaling but you bought it as an additional option? And that option (combined with the Maroposs probing) cost more than the Renishaw option (which includes Rotation & Scaling)?
    Greg

marposs/renishaw

I have used a Renishaw for over a year on a HAAS VMC. Recently we got a new HAAS VMC with a Marposs wirelss probing system on it. One difference is that on the Marposs you must enter an approximate length for each tool when setting tool length. You should also put approximate radius and tool type also. The length cannot be too long or it will fail and say no tool in spindle.

After each tool has data entered the Marposs can be told to automatically probe all tool lengths and will go thru setting one tool after another. Offsetting face mills and end mills and getting diameter if you selected that option.

The Renishaw we have does not require an approximate length or other data entry. It just goes and finds the tool lengths. However, end mills and face mills must be probed manually one at a time.

The Renishaw is simpler to use but the Marposs can work without so much effort on your part. We were told yesterday that Renishaw is going the way of Marposs in tool offseting to probe length.

Essentially they are the same with the same functions.

We have had problems with a couple of macros in the Marposs failing. It must be very new to the HAAS system. I must say though that HAAS and Marposs have been on the ball in getting these bugs worked out. A major one got fixed today and now that macro works perfectly.

The Renishaw is a TSR27 tool setter and something like an OMP40 probe. Sorry I do not know the Marposs numbers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by offsetxyz View Post
    I have used a Renishaw for over a year on a HAAS VMC. Recently we got a new HAAS VMC with a Marposs wirelss probing system on it. One difference is that on the Marposs you must enter an approximate length for each tool when setting tool length. You should also put approximate radius and tool type also. The length cannot be too long or it will fail and say no tool in spindle.

After each tool has data entered the Marposs can be told to automatically probe all tool lengths and will go thru setting one tool after another. Offsetting face mills and end mills and getting diameter if you selected that option.

The Renishaw we have does not require an approximate length or other data entry. It just goes and finds the tool lengths. However, end mills and face mills must be probed manually one at a time.

The Renishaw is simpler to use but the Marposs can work without so much effort on your part. We were told yesterday that Renishaw is going the way of Marposs in tool offseting to probe length.

We have had problems with a couple of macros in the Marposs failing. It must be very new to the HAAS system. I must say though that HAAS and Marposs have been on the ball in getting these bugs worked out. A major one got fixed today and now that macro works perfectly.

The Renishaw is a TSR27 tool setter and something like an OMP40 probe. Sorry I do not know the Marposs numbers at all.
    Can you elaborate on which macros are failing?

We have a 2008 Marposs probe on our TM-2 and if the software should get upgraded I would like to know about it.

Tim

Ok here are the differences in the two types of probe systems you have. I assume the machine that you have the renishaw probe on has software series 15 or very early 16. The new machine will have software version 16. With the renishaw you are more than likely useing VQC to set your tools. With the marposs and 16 series software you are using the probe section in the offset page. I don't believe that VQC has templates that support the marposs cycles. However using the probe section in the offsets page you get to do something that you can't do in VQC. Say you have 10 tools to set. You load up all the tools and then go to the probe section in offsets. Here you have to say what type of tool it is. You have 7 different options. Depending on what type of tool it is depends on what else you must answer to be able to complete the tool measurements. For example tool 1 a drill you don't need to give a length or diameter for a length only measurement. Now say tool 2 is a 3 inch face mill. You told the controller what type of tool it is and then when you choose what type of tool setting you want to do. It then turns red. Now you must answer appox length and the diameter in order to get the red to turn green. Now you do this for all 10 tools. Then you hit tool offset measure, then cycle start. The machine will measure all of the tools and perform what ever type of setting operation you want ie. length non-rotating, length rotating, length diameter rotating and so on.

In VQC face mill had to be measure one at a time in manual. Once people get used to this they will find it easier to set up all the tools. However I personally like VQC for spindle probe operations over using the offset page spindle probe cycles.

If you have any questions on this feel free to message me.

James

James-

Thanks for the info. I will have to go find out what software I have and take a closer look. At this point I have been measuring one tool at a time by pressing F2 when on that specific tool.

Tim

How old is your machine. It is possible to upgrade the haas machine to 16.04 A and above to get the new screens for Marposs from the Offset mode. If you have a series 15 machine and a 16m Flash memeory then the Haas service engineer can upgrade your machine software.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamun View Post
    How old is your machine. It is possible to upgrade the haas machine to 16.04 A and above to get the new screens for Marposs from the Offset mode. If you have a series 15 machine and a 16m Flash memeory then the Haas service engineer can upgrade your machine software.
    Its about a year old now. We did not get the 16M upgrade, and I do not think we need it anyway. Why is it required for the software upgrade?

Tim

You will need to know if you have a 8Meg flash drive or a 16 meg flash drive in you machine. The latest version of the haas software 16.05B is more than 8 Meg capacity and as a result if you have a 8M flash drive the upgrade to the latest version is not possible.
    Can you look at your diagnostic screen (2nd page) and let me know the version of software you have on the machine. If your machine is one year old then you should have a 16 series software on it and at least 16 MEG flash drive.

Re: marposs/renishaw

Quote Originally Posted by offsetxyz View Post

We have the Mida Laser 75p for tool offset length setting. The macro that came with it started at Z machine zero and came down slowly at around 60-100 ipm but that was changed to rapid down to about 8" about the beam then more slowly to check the tool length. I was able to find the variable so I can set the tool lengths to check to be 2" to 6" long. Originally set up for 2" to 3" if I recall correctly. Our accuracy is less than .0005" but the laser and the receiver have a spread of about 30". The shutters are activated by air and there is always a positive pressure of air when the shutters are closed to keep out coolant and debris. Comes with macros for calibrating, checking center cutting and non-center cutting tools and to check for tool breakage.

We also have the Marposs VOP40p positioning probe. Wireless. Accuracy is .0002" or better. It shuts off automatically after 30 seconds if left on. The system came with a bunch of macros to do all types of probing. All those details are on their website.