586,071 active members*
4,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > DNC Problems and Solutions > Need help with data transfer hookup for PC to Bandit I Level II Firmware Loaded Contr

Need help with data transfer hookup for PC to Bandit I Level II Firmware Loaded Contr

Need help with data transfer hookup for PC to Bandit I Level II Firmware Loaded Control
    I have a CNC Bandit (Summit/Dana)control operating a Supermax milling machine which works fine entering programs by hand with the keypad on the control or with the old data recorder (cassette player/recorder)to save programs on a cassette tape but of course all the data has to be typed in initially by hand. I want to be able to send and receive programs to the control from my PC (Win XP) using RS232 serial USB and possibly send and receive to the data recorder (cassette tape).The 2 cables I have now each have a 25 pin male "DB" connector which connects to the data recorder and the bandit control on the supermax milling machine. Obviously I wish to get from the DB 25 pin male to the PC from each unit. I need to interface from DB 25 pin male to a USB serial on the PC.
    7 data bits 2 stop bits Xon/Xoff Even Parity no EOB.
    Need help with:
    Info on proper connection of devices.
    Converter for RS232 from serial female USB on PC to DB25 pin male on cable going to Bandit CNC Control or Data Recorder (Cassette Tape Recorder/Player)
    RS232 Drivers
    RS232 Software

Thanks,
    Mike

Mikes Custom Bikes

[email protected]

Hi Mike,

USB to serial converters are readily available. Avoid the really cheap ones as their drivers can be a bit nasty. Go for a brand you trust.

Alternatively you may want to consider an Ethernet - RS232 converter if you have a network available. Usually these come with COM port emulation drivers, but you don't necessarily need you to load these drivers if your communications software can talk direct to a TCP device.

You will most likely need to convert from 9 pin to 25 pin, and it sounds like you will also need a gender changer adapter. You may or may not need a straight through or null-modem cable. Perhaps even a custom cable altogether. To find out exactly what connections you need to make requires the CNC machine's pinout diagram or a little detective work with a voltmeter or a breakout box.

There are many options for software, depending upon what you want to do. The cheapest option is hyperterminal (built in with Windows) but it isn't really meant for this job, the terminology isn't self-explanatory for CNC.

I have written a CNC communications package which you may want to consider using. (www.iworkshop.co.uk) There is plenty more information about RS232 communications on my website if you look for and download the helpfile.

Hope this helps
    Andrew Carter

AFAIK, the Bandit was limited to hardware handshake. You might try contacting Albrights's CNC support services in Bozeman, MT to acquire a cable and a prewired RS232connector. I do not have the pinout data on the Bandit, but the ones I saw had a round plug of some sort. I do not know if the DB25 was maybe for tape deck or what went on.

I'd make initial attempts at communication using an old PC with a real serial port on it. There's enough frustration to be had getting the communications going without throwing USB in the mix.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mike,
    I have the same control. I ordered the round connector from Mouser electronics. It was only around $10. I still need to make the cable so I can't tell you if it works yet. I have the manual with the pin outs also. When I get to work tomorrow I'll get you the part numbers and pin info if you want to make your own. The company info HuFlungDung gave you, offers the cable already made up at a reasonable price.

J.

Mike,
    Here's the info on the parts needed to hook up to the controller.

AMP p/n 205839-3 Plug

p/n 206070-8 Cable Clamp

p/n 66569-3 Solder Socket (pins)

If you need the pin out info let me know.

J. Clear

Thanks JJ
    The pinout would be helpful.

I thought I was the only one having these troubles. I have posted this on another thread so this might seem redundant. I am using a bandit 1 that works perfectly if I use the key pad on the mill. I have an RS232 cable hooked up to my computer. When I send a file from the bandit to the computer, I get nonsence. If I send code from the predator (bobcad) software nothing happens.
    Help??
    Matt

If you are getting something when you transmit from the bandit to the computer, then at least you've got communication going.

I'd say try setting your comm software to try all baud rates, up to 1200 which may have been tops for Bandit. Start at 300 baud and work up with each retry. I forget how many data bits, maybe 7 and 2 stop bits, with hardware handshake.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

For the Bandit I to send a file to the Bandit Control:
    Baud Rate = 110
    7 Data Bits
    Even Parity
    2 Stop Bits
    Xon/Xoff
    Flow Control checked @ default setings

On control hit reset a few times to clear control then go to EXT then hit CE and then hit START (green button) now initiate send file from computor in ASCII text (Notepad format). Be sure to use this sequence and the file should transfer providing your cable is wired correctly.
    To transfer file in from the Bandit Control to the computer set computor to receive file then on Bandit control select MDI and hit T1 and then START (tells control to send ASCII Text format)then select EXT hit M and last sequence # and then hit START and the file should begin to transfer.
    Just a note:
    A 709 sequence file takes about 10-15 min to load completely.

Thanks. I'll go out and try it today.

Computer to Bandit 1 RS232 cable

I am working with a high school robotics team that has a Bridgeport with a Bandit 1, Level II controller that I am trying to hook up to a CAD/CAM system to upload programs.
    I built a cable and got it to download a program from the Bandit to the computer using 2400 baud, 7 data bits, even parity, 1 stop bit, hardware control, but cannot get a good upload to it.
    It acts like the handshake is not correct.

I get a couple of entry's before it errors out, but have never got a complete transfer of a 10 entry program.

Does anyone have the correct pinout for a Bandit RS232 cable?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated:tired:!!

RayMjr

Bandit Communicatons

I got the communications working between the Bandit & my computer after much trial & error, and a couple of conversations with Len Albright.
    Here are the issues I found & solutions:
    Talked with Len a couple of times, and ordered the Banidt communications manual.
    I Discovered I had the older POP board (02 version) that only runs at 110baud, async.
    The cable I built was for synchronous operation, so I modified it appropriately.
    Almost all modern PCs do not have hardware RS232 ports.
    IN Win XP & win 7 I found no USB to RS232 adapters that work at 110baud, even though you can set windows up to that rate, if you check with a protocol analyzer, you will see that when you get down to 110, it actually jumps up to the default of 9600baud.
    I know that the Keyspan USA-19HS works at 110baud on my MacBook Pro, so I worked with an open source developer to get his terminal software tweaked for 110baud operation. See Roger Meier's Freeware for more info.
    I also found an open source DNC program, but the developer could not figure out how to get it to work at 110baud. See: macDNC easy Dnc Software for Apple iMac MacOSX

I use BobCAD/CAM to generate the NC files with a post processor that I modified to use more of the Bandit's instruction set than the one for BobCAD.

So now I can send NC files to the Bandit without any problems!

I hope this helps other who may still be using this workhorse of a controller (even though it is long in the tooth).

RayM

Eagle Engineering
    FIRST Team 1138
    Chaminade College Preparatory
    West Hills, CA
    /o)\
    \(o/