586,075 active members*
3,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Post Processors for MC > Small change on a Haas.pst post
Page 1 of 3 123

Small change on a Haas.pst post

I figured out the 164 line to make my post a 3 axis post. Now for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the X0. out of the second to the last line. This is what I get out of my post:

M5
    G91 G28 Z0. M9
    G28 X0. Y0.
    M30
    %

I just manually change it now, but the more that I learn the more I want to know, and this should have been able to be figured out by me, but I can't. Now I ask for your help, please.

Thanks

What region are you located? Contact your local rep

Looks like that might be in the peof function in the post.

Make sure you use this peof...

Code:
    peof            #End of file for non-zero tool
    Not this one...

Code:
          peof
    (The bottom one, where the text is away from the left border, is a call to the actual function. Functions are right up against the left border (of your editor window)).
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you Rekd.

As for everyone on every post that says "check with your dealer", why don't you just ask the admins to get rid of this forum, because every question that is asked on here could be solved by the dealer. I don't get it, I looked at every post on here about haas machines and I couldn't believe how many times I read "check with your dealer" jeesh!!

Don't worry, you're not alone. When you get assigned to 'one dealer' who assigns 'one rep' for your area, you're at the mercy of that person. CNC Software refuses to help when the VAR can't answer the questions.

For the money they charge for this software, the support should be better than it is. I shouldn't have to customize my own post for a three-freakin-axis-Haas. I'm still debugging mine. POS.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Don't worry, you're not alone. When you get assigned to 'one dealer' who assigns 'one rep' for your area, you're at the mercy of that person. CNC Software refuses to help when the VAR can't answer the questions.
    For the record, you can get all the help you need, including CNC Software
    employees, at the eMastercam.com forum. I don't think there's been a situation yet that hasn't been resolved.

For the money they charge for this software, the support should be better than it is. I shouldn't have to customize my own post for a three-freakin-axis-Haas. I'm still debugging mine. POS.
    Well allow me to retort.

Aside from the fact that you should have told your rep that you wanted a working post (to your specs) with the purchase of Mastercam, the support you get with Mastercam is the best I've seen in over a half a dozen major CAM brands I've used, and it's better than ALL the CAD brands I've used put together.

You probably run things a little bit differently on your particular HAAS, don't you? Perhaps you think the default format should use G90 instead of G91, or you think the drill cycles should do this or that instead of that or this. Perhaps you think the default tapping cycle should be for rigid tapping instead of floating head, etc etc etc.

If you are indeed like the tens of thousands of other people that run things just a little bit different on their machine, aren't you glad you can adjust your post? I sure am! And aren't you glad you can get ALL THE SUPPORT YOU NEED to make minor adjustments for free, instead of having to pay a post developer to do the small stuff?

My HAAS posts do amazing things. Lots of custom canned cycles for deep hole drilling, engraving, (serial and text), drop stops, etc etc etc. They put out excellent code for the machines and for setup sheets and other things.

They're pretty much unlimited from what I've seen so far. They've got their own open source computer language to run their posts and you think they're a POS because they give you complete access to it?

Indeed!

As for "Ask your dealer", that should only happen when people ask for a post. Not when they ask for help on tweaking theirs. It's usually not the forum mod's saying that. Like in this case, where a kid with 5 posts comes in and says it.

What happens is that a lot of people pirate Mastercam and want to get a post, so they come here and ask for one. "Ask your dealer" is a way of weeding out some of the pirates.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
    You probably run things a little bit differently on your particular HAAS, don't you?
    [ sarcasm ]Yes, my Haas likes G54 as the default work offset, not G93 (or whatever the 'generic fanuc' post gives you. [ /sarcasm ] Finding where to change that was as much luck as it was skill. The documentation sucks with regard to that. It was written by programmers and written like a programming documentation manual, not a 'user guide'.

I started with MC 9. I was pretty much left on my own (by the VAR) but I'm a smart, resourceful guy and I quickly figured it all out. It came with a Haas post and it worked out of the box. Once I understood that I could edit the post, I did indeed do the 'little tweaks'.

When the boxes arrived in the mail for the transition to X, I was given a transition program that was supposed to save and move all of my settings. That's great until you have to reformat a hard drive and need to know where all of those settings went. And...it didn't work...or at least I could never determine which files it altered and what they were named.

In any case, I kept getting told (by the VAR) that I should just use the 'Generic Fanuc' post..."it'll work just fine" was their battle cry.

I'm not making money with this machine (it's a hobby right now) but I did indeed pay very real money for MasterCam and the Haas. I was running just fine under MC9 until I decided that I 'had to' move into X. That stopped me dead in my tracks. The machine didn't make another chip until this past Sunday night.

I was (and still am) frustrated with the disorganized, nested dialog, multiple file nature of 'control defs, machine defs, tool libraries, etc'. I still don't understand if the Machine definition uses a Control definition or if they always remain separate and must be selected each time. Ditto for the post.

In my simple, little brain I should be able to:
    1. Define a specific machine in my shop (the mechanics, motions, capabilities and limits and configuration--3, 4 or 5 axis depending on the rotary)
    2. Assign a control to it (the G&M codes it expects to see)
    3. Assign a post for MasterCam to use to talk to that combination of machine and control defs
    4. Call up that machine configuration with a single 'machine definition'.
    I can start a new part, select the same machine def as the last part but it will tell me 'NO POST'. I can try to select a post but it won't take it until I try to output code, then it prompts me for a post, then I select it and for some reason, it takes it under those circumstances.

No, I didn't use a pirated version of the software. I paid full admission to be part of the club and got little more support than if I HAD been a pirate. I got rolled eyes and little help from most of the people at the Mastercam booth (again...thinking I'm using pirated software for sure).

That was until I found the guy from my VAR standing on the other side of the booth. They finally took the time to give me all of the 'supposed' post and machine defs to take home on my thumbdrive. AND THOSE didn't work either.

Anyway, I'm sympathetic to the company for both the situation of pirated software AND incompetent people out in the field. But I did call them back east (for POST help) and got shrugged off to the VAR. If customizing the post is a necessary part of owning the software, then they should have included a thorough manual (either PDF or hardcopy) so I could do it.
    Greg

[ sarcasm ]Yes, my Haas likes G54 as the default work offset, not G93 (or whatever the 'generic fanuc' post gives you. [ /sarcasm ]
    Your HAAS should run just fine using the generic HAAS post. Just because you choose to run it differently is not CNC's fault.

You might try MPMaster.pst. It does much better out of the box on a HAAS than the HAAS or fanuc posts. But trying to blame CNC Software for making a safe, generic post is pretty lame at best.

Finding where to change that was as much luck as it was skill. The documentation sucks with regard to that. It was written by programmers and written like a programming documentation manual, not a 'user guide'.
    Um, modifying a post is considered programming. Hence the reason it was written as programming documentation. BTW, one quick question in the forums would have gotten you the answer on where to change it without having to be a programmer.

I started with MC 9. I was pretty much left on my own (by the VAR) but I'm a smart, resourceful guy and I quickly figured it all out. It came with a Haas post and it worked out of the box. Once I understood that I could edit the post, I did indeed do the 'little tweaks'.
    So which was it? You had to tweak the post to get it to run or you didn't? I are teh confused.

When the boxes arrived in the mail for the transition to X, I was given a transition program that was supposed to save and move all of my settings. That's great until you have to reformat a hard drive and need to know where all of those settings went. And...it didn't work...or at least I could never determine which files it altered and what they were named.
    So it didn't save your settings? Or you crashed your computer and lost them? Did you make a backup?

I'm not making money with this machine (it's a hobby right now) but I did indeed pay very real money for MasterCam and the Haas. I was running just fine under MC9 until I decided that I 'had to' move into X. That stopped me dead in my tracks. The machine didn't make another chip until this past Sunday night.
    Not planning to keep a working copy of MC9 until you get the bugs worked out of the new version is poor planning on your part, not CNC Software's.

I was (and still am) frustrated with the disorganized, nested dialog, multiple file nature of 'control defs, machine defs, tool libraries, etc'. I still don't understand if the Machine definition uses a Control definition or if they always remain separate and must be selected each time. Ditto for the post.
    I don't use X, but many people do and don't have the issues you have. Perhaps you should ask for help from users instead of your un reliable VAR? I know when I was beta testing it, it was much different than 9, but with time it started coming together nicely.

No, I didn't use a pirated version of the software. I paid full admission to be part of the club and got little more support than if I HAD been a pirate. I got rolled eyes and little help from most of the people at the Mastercam booth (again...thinking I'm using pirated software for sure).
    Why would you go to a trade show for tech support? (Sorry, couldn't resist )

If customizing the post is a necessary part of owning the software, then they should have included a thorough manual (either PDF or hardcopy) so I could do it.
    There is a manual, and it's a very good one. It's a programming manual. But again, it's your own fault for not insisting on a working post before you bought the software (or bought the upgrade)

If you're still having trouble with posts, definitions etc, you should ask for help here or go to eMastercam.com's forum for help. Hint, you'll get more with sugar than you will with vinegar at either.

And no, I don't work for CNC Software, I just get tired of people bagging on them for reasons that are simply not true or accurate, or due to bad judgment on the user's part.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Donkey Hotey, I see were you are from . what show are you speaking of? this was not the last Westec show I take it. if so I would of been your Rep. And I know I can still help.
    Send me an PM and I will make sure you get what you need.

Jay (cadcam)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Your HAAS should run just fine using the generic HAAS post. Just because you choose to run it differently is not CNC's fault.
    See, that's the problem: there wasn't a Haas post in 10 but there was in 9. I was told to use the Fanuc post and it used G92 instead of G54. I'm still not clear where to map the M codes for coolant (works) and my airgun (that I'd like to map to the 'mist' output). I'm not asking here...I'll start another thread with my specific questions.

I wasn't 'blaming' CNC software. I think they have room for improvement. Maybe they don't know how their product is perceived. I'd be a fool to believe that the involved parties will never see these posts: it's a small world. I was not a happy customer. I was impressed by 9. I was not impressed by X.
    Um, modifying a post is considered programming. Hence the reason it was written as programming documentation.
    I wasn't referring to the post documention. I'm talking about the transition guides. They were terrible. Maybe they're better than most (the reason I went with MC in the first place) but they still weren't very good.

BTW, one quick question in the forums would have gotten you the answer on where to change it without having to be a programmer.
    Which is exactly why I'm so stoked to have found forums like this one. I felt like I was on my own. This is the first place I've found that I could post questions. I tried to register on a Mastercam forum a couple of years ago but was never approved. Maybe it was the one you mentioned. I don't remember.

So which was it? You had to tweak the post to get it to run or you didn't?
    I finally fumbled through enough that I have ONE file that has all the right definitions tied to it that I'm getting usable output. I haven't verified all the functions (coolant, boring, tapping, peck drilling) but at least it finally gives a G54 for the work offset.
    So it didn't save your settings? Or you crashed your computer and lost them? Did you make a backup?
    Backups? Of what? I'm being serious here. This is exactly what I'm talking about. I had a backup of my sole Haas post from 9. It was a single file. Now I have definitions scattered all over the directory (machine, control, post). I am at the point now where I can articulate this. I didn't even know this much when I started and got vague answers and hand waving when I asked.
    Not planning to keep a working copy of MC9 until you get the bugs worked out of the new version is poor planning on your part, not CNC Software's.
    It wasn't about 'poor planning'. It's about drawing a line in the sand and saying, "I have to learn the new version." To keep going back to 9 to get things done would not fix the problems in 10. I committed to moving forward.
    Perhaps you should ask for help from users instead of your un reliable VAR?
    Exactly why I'm so grateful for this forum.
    Why would you go to a trade show for tech support? (Sorry, couldn't resist )
    They were my very, VERY first stop at Westec. I knew they'd all be there in one spot, they couldn't get away and nobody else would be there for 30 minutes or so. I got grumbling about "everybody thinks we should make a post just for their machine." Well, when it's a freakin' Haas...yeah, you should make a post for it. At least a generic one.
    There is a manual, and it's a very good one. It's a programming manual. But again, it's your own fault for not insisting on a working post before you bought the software (or bought the upgrade).
    It was the middle of my year of 'maintenance'. Maintenance is supposed to buy you some level of 'support' from the VAR. I didn't get that. I won't name names because the parties are probably in here from time to time but for the money they were receiving, I got nothing in return but a box of 'update' softare.

One time I made a phone call and got an answer. A few other times I called and got completely wrong answers (work offsets).
    Hint, you'll get more with sugar than you will with vinegar at either.
    Look through my post history here. I'm a helpful guy. You really have no idea how upset I was when this was all going on. Really. This is the constructive version of events.

Offline, I'd tell you what I really think. I know the level of support I got from Solidworks. I know what I get when I call Haas. I know what I got when I called the VAR and Mastercam about their product. It wasn't the same level of support--not even close--despite being the most expensive piece of software, by far.

I hope to finally get it going and maybe I'll be so impressed by the software that I'll forget all the transition problems. We'll see.
    Greg

there wasn't a Haas post in 10 but there was in 9.
    OIC. I didn't know that. They should have suggested MPMaster, I think they ported an X version of that post.

I wasn't 'blaming' CNC software. I think they have room for improvement. Maybe they don't know how their product is perceived. I'd be a fool to believe that the involved parties will never see these posts: it's a small world. I was not a happy customer.
    I may have misunderstood...

I shouldn't have to customize my own post for a three-freakin-axis-Haas. I'm still debugging mine. POS.
    Which is exactly why I'm so stoked to have found forums like this one. I felt like I was on my own. This is the first place I've found that I could post questions. I tried to register on a Mastercam forum a couple of years ago but was never approved. Maybe it was the one you mentioned. I don't remember.
    Go to eMastercam.com. There's a forum there you can join. It's the single best place for MC help of any type.

Backups? Of what? I'm being serious here.
    Point taken.
    It wasn't about 'poor planning'. It's about drawing a line in the sand and saying, "I have to learn the new version." To keep going back to 9 to get things done would not fix the problems in 10. I committed to moving forward.
    Sounded to me like you had removed 9 when you installed X. I would have at least waited until I started cutting parts with X.

Look through my post history here. I'm a helpful guy. You really have no idea how upset I was when this was all going on. Really. This is the constructive version of events.
    I'm just saying, calling the posts a POS won't go over real well around a bunch of guys that make their living from it.

Offline, I'd tell you what I really think. I know the level of support I got from Solidworks. I know what I get when I call Haas. I know what I got when I called the VAR and Mastercam about their product. It wasn't the same level of support--not even close--despite being the most expensive piece of software, by far.
    I'm not going to stop you from telling me what you really think, so long as you abide by the rules. You're free to dislike it, but I think you should at least try to find answers first. Looks like you're on your way to doing just that.

I hope to finally get it going and maybe I'll be so impressed by the software that I'll forget all the transition problems.
    There were a lot of users in the same boat. Including me during beta testing. I was frustrated for quite a while, and I'm the kind of guy that has never read a manual before digging in to anything in my life. Especially software. It was just that different. An obvious whole new world with a very small amount of recognizability.

You will have to change the way you think about programming, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Do you mind telling us what is your current version of X. I have X2MR2 with the last 2 updates installed. There is a HAAS post, Machine Definition and Control Definition for the HAAS as of X MR2 which was almost 2 years ago. Seeing how we have the same VAR I would have to strongly disagree with your comments about them and wonder if you called ranting verse calling to talk to someone?? I am sure you handle your customers who call you ranting all the time the same as the one who call you telling you about the good job you are doing. I can tell you I don't and do everything in my power to get them off the phone as soon as possible. Like MR Funk In Rekd said hope over to here:http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
    The only thing you may need is your sim# not a big deal. I have been know to go over there a time or two and answer some questions and I have got plenty of questions answered over the years over there myself.

The issues you are having would take anyone with a little bit of post experience about 15 to 20 minutes to button up. My post for one machine does probing, put in customer data, Rev numbers, Machine it is posted for who the programmer was that programmed it and has tons of custom drill cycles like was stated above and never touched by a dealer to do it and my programming experience is limited to Machine tools!!!

Need some help you can keep asking over here, but I promise you a $100 that over in emastercam forum and you got some manners they will get answered a lot faster. Go over there and try to rip Mastercam and the dealer a New one and I promise you will not like what you get back in return. That is a friendly piece of advice please take it. I make my living off of Mastercam and I do very well with it so sorry if I got very little sympathy for what you are going through.

Quote Originally Posted by crazythunder View Post
    Do you mind telling us what is your current version of X.
    My maintenance expired in November of 2005...whatever version that was (I'm not in front of that computer right now or I'd give you the version). It was the first release of X and I think I was eligible for the first patch or two.

Say all you want about manners. I've got 'em. I was very polite with all parties...always have been. I didn't get good answers. I was given a certain person, in a certain area and that was my sole resource. If he didn't know...'oh well, good luck with that' or 'get out your checkbook' and we'll write you a post' (3-axis VF-2, 10K spindle, coolant--that's it).

If I had received this amount of attention from the mother-ship and the VAR back when I was on maintenance, I wouldn't have developed this opinion. CNC Software blew me off. My rep gave me answers that didn't work. Where was I supposed to turn after that? You guys all seem very helpful and knowledgeable. It wasn't that way when I picked up the phone to my assigned rep or talked to the company.

The comment you saw that kicked off this hijack was pertaining to the constant suspicion of everybody having a 'hacked' copy. Help shouldn't be such a big deal. If somebody is running a hack, that's not legal. But to treat everybody with suspicion just ticks off those of us who did pay for it.

If some of you are on the 'inside' you can figure out who and when. I'm not divulging names because he has to make a living too. He was a nice guy and could hack just about anything in MC but I needed more than hacks. I think I've still got his old number in my cell phone. He's not there anymore and it's really not important now.

I'm not on maintenance anymore and I'm probably going to do just fine figuring it out on my own or with help from this forum. It just shouldn't be this way and I'm more sympathetic to the user than I am to the company.

And if you're wondering about my background: mechanical engineer, used to teach numerous mainframe CAD systems, current Catia V5 user, self-taught in SolidWorks and Mastercam 9 and about 1500 hours of VBA programming. I was up and running with 9 on my own. X buried me.

I can keep this constructive if you can. I think I've done a pretty fair job so far. Try to do the same.

And if the mods would prefer to prune out all of the posts after #5, I'm okay with that. I wish I'd never brought it up.
    Greg

I am not going to remove these posts, but I know when I took over the territory and tried to contact you. You never called back I call Sept of last year to introduce my self.
    I live close by and would have loved to help you. I am no longer a full time employ of Cad-Cam any more but I do help allot of my old customers and teach at collage of the Canyons. If there is some thing you still need contact me you will be surprised at what I will do. As I am an outside referral dealer again.
    Ask Reked and Crazy thunder.

That’s all I have to say. Jay
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Jay,

Yes, I remember your phone call. Maybe this will let you know what kind of guy I am:

I didn't return your call because:
    1. I was no longer on maintenance
    2. I did not have the money (CNC-related income) to justify getting back on maintenance
    3. I didn't want to waste your time knowing that I would not be spending money that eventually pays your salary.
    I know that a large part of your market is face-to-face sales. In my mind, it would have been wrong on my part to bother you; knowing that I wouldn't be signing up again any time soon.

Really guys: this is exactly like the threads we see that get steered anti-Haas or whatever. My local Haas rep is as honest as the day is long. I trust anything he tells me because everything he has told me in the past has been true and in my best interest.

My local experience, while I was under maintenance was not good. I'm not saying it's not good elsewhere. I didn't want to crap on the guy who was supposed to help me. I tried to politely ask his boss for help who turned me back to him. CNC Software hemmed and hawed and told me "it's really the VAR's responsibility. We don't normally do customer support." I was abandoned.

I probably could have found a pirate version of Mastercam. I didn't. I wanted to do the 'honest thing' and pay for the software--even though I'm in the 'development stage' of things and it was money borrowed against my house.

In return, I was not given any more support than if I had obtained a pirated copy. And that was the root of the comments in my original post.

Sorry if some of you feel like it was a personal attack. It wasn't. It was a comment about a situation that happened. In the interest of customer satisfaction, I'd like to think that it would be used to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen again, rather than attack the customer and sling accusations of 'rude behavior' (not you Jay...just a general feel for how this thread has turned).
    Greg

Greg I do understand were you are comming from I would still taken care of you as that what I did I did support for both office's and the sales and the tranning I never turned any one away.
    But now I maybe able help when needed and I wont call asking for money unless you contract me to program for you, and I don't think you need that.
    So Chris must of sold you your MC as I know it was not me.

Just know we are all here and the other board to as you will see me there as Cadcam to.
    So you know I have your number but wont call unless you ask.

PS thank you for your reply.

Jay
    Cadcam

No hard feeling here, and like Jay I am willing to help you out as well. I will have to install and older version but not a big deal. I do recommend you going to the web site and getting those updates!! The first release if X is not something I would spring on anyone much less someone starting out on it. X2 is so much better and refined they to me are like night and day. Jay will have to speak for himself but I have probably 2000 to 2500 hours over the last 4 years helping people out on my own time, via email, sample file or putting toolpaths to their own files to help people out. Jay has helped me on many occasions.

I think he looks at the same way I do. The better you get at the the better the possibilities are you grow and do get the income to upgrade which would put money in his pocket. I look at it this way on top of that you are an American business and what ever I can do to keep American business going and growing help me and my family in the long run.

Send me a message on this board and I will be glad to send you my email so you can send me a file.

Just so you know the SP1 and SP2 you can download from my understand without keep maintenance up to date since they are service pack for X though SP2 was officially released in December. You can still get those just not the MR1 or MR2.

Here is the link incase you don't have it handy:http://www.mastercam.com/Support/Dow...X/Default.aspx

Again I don't take anything personal and far as I am concerned it is water under the bridge of life.

I'm glad you're getting close to resolving what may be a moot point for you at this time.

But,

The comment you saw that kicked off this hijack was pertaining to the constant suspicion of everybody having a 'hacked' copy. Help shouldn't be such a big deal. If somebody is running a hack, that's not legal. But to treat everybody with suspicion just ticks off those of us who did pay for it.
    Wow. Just wow. That's harsh.

Not to mention a flat out lie.

The "POS" comment you made was in the paragraph talking about adjusting posts, not being told to ask your dealer, by a member with like 5 posts at the time.

[rant]

Just because some kid who didn't know the answer told someone to ask their dealer is no reason to get your panties in a bunch. Especially considering that the very next post, by the Admin, pointed him in the right direction without so much as blinking an eye about the other post. (Truth be told, I considered commenting on the lack of class that second post had, but decide it would be in bad taste.)

[/rant]

Yes, we have measures in place to curb pirates. Yes, you may be questioned. More than likely not, but it could happen.

Like I said, I'm glad you're starting to get things cleared up. I know you'll be happy with X once you get it going.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

The "POS" comment you made was in the paragraph talking about adjusting posts, not being told to ask your dealer, by a member with like 5 posts at the time.
    Fair enough Matt. I think you understand now that my 'POS' comment came loaded with the backed up frustration of the mentioned events. In the context of this thread, it probably wasn't the best place to post it but it looked like he too had experienced that treatment in the past.

The way I was treated when I asked questions at the MC booth was not the way I (as a customer) want to be treated. The help I didn't get when I called CNC Software is not the way I want to be treated.

Everybody was my buddy until I forked over the check. I got a box, a mouse pad, a dongle, a CD and a couple of starter manuals. After that, it was one more cardboard box and a few fruitless phone calls.

In fact, in the interest of clarifying those phone calls: I have the Renishaw probing on my VF-2. In order for 'presetter recorded' tool diameters to be used properly, I have to do cutter-comp in the control. I was having lead-in problems with MC-9 during 'control' cutter comp.

The only answer I could get was "just load the actual cutter diameter into Mastercam and do computer compensation." I kept trying to explain that it needed to be 'control comp' or I would have to repost my path every time I changed a tool. "So what, it's so fast to do, why bother fighting with it?"

That's a hack, not a solution. To write and post a production cutter path, I should be able to use the machine's cutter comp and recorded tool offsets. Just because MC couldn't figure out it's lead-in geometry wasn't my problem and the solutions weren't really solutions; they were hacks.

I fought with it some more and I think I eventually put some fake lead in geometry to establish cutter comp away from the actual part geometry and 'drag' the cutter path to the real part. It worked this time but this was also a hack. I wanted to know what I was doing wrong or why the software couldn't figure it out (it wasn't very complex).

This is one of the reasons I walked away from 9.0 when I did. I figured that I'd be dealing with a new bundle of snakes when X came out and maybe it would be moot--the problem might have been fixed.

Anyway, I really do wish I could remember which MC forum I tried to sign up with because my ID was submitted at least twice and was just politely thrown away (despite listing that I was an licensed MC user and new Haas owner). I know you guys moderate this forum and look for spammers as well as pirates. It looked to me like whatever forum it was that I was trying to join had tossed me into one of those categories and dumped my ID.

Again, I got the feeling that I was being treated as 'another pirate' and I was shut out from the only sources of information that were going to get me going.
    Greg

emastercam.com is the forum you're looking for. I"m a moderator in O/T there, so if you have issues getting signed up, let me know.

Sounds like your VAR was a POS. Perhaps that's a reason he's no longer a VAR?

I know it's no excuse, but consider GMC or Ford. Do you call the manufacturer for your issues? No. You call the dealer. Same with CAD/CAM. The makers are too busy to address all the customers, hence the reason they have the dealers.

If you feel your dealer is inadequate, you might contact CNC Software and file a complaint. If the dealer truly is a bad one, chances are others will complain too.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Page 1 of 3 123