586,103 active members*
3,284 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Questions about TIG

Hi, I just bought a lincoln precision tig welder (just the machine, nothing else), i had a few questions.

1). Was it stupid to buy the machine by itself or not? I did'nt really like the air cooled torch that came with it and will get a good water cooled one for the same price.

2). What do you guys prefer, a foot control or a hand control?

3). Can a foot or hand control (!!expensive!!) be made easily? I do have a cnc machine, and good electrical skills. It seems that it would be a simple device to make.

4). Can you convert a tig to plasma by getting a plasma torch and supplying compressed air?

Hi ...
    For answer your questions I can say the following:
    1.. Depends of you expectative about process.. The best way to you buy a equipment is if it will fit and reach your aims.
    2.. I'd rather hand control..
    3..Normally hand control are easier than foot control in controlling the current. I don't think so that it will be easy device to make in TIG process with CNC. You have to take in consideration many things, for instance: Stand off control, positioning of the torch and so on.
    4.. To you convert one equipment to plasma you have to get one OCV up till 80 VDC so that the TIG equipment won't supplay that voltage level. The process' equipment can supplay it is Stick. It gotta about 80 VDC at OCV, so that you can convert one stick equipement in plasma equipament, but you can't forget the accessories you have to get for plasma. Reciculator for example, it is a important one to welding plasma process...

-I feel that the air cooled - water cooled depends on use.
    Air cooled is much lighter & more flexible, but if it will run all day or you are welding a lot of aluminum (high amp) you definately want water cooled.
    - I go foot control. I find the Lincoln hand control (thumb slider) to difficult to get out of the detent and the stroke is longer than the movement of my thumb. BUT 80% of my employees prefer the hand control?
    - Lincoln has 3 year warranty, why try to make the control?

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to go with the air cooled torch for now.
    as for the hand control - I'll buy one of ebay. But i still think it would be fairly easy to make. My machine has a 5 pin connector for the controller, i'm thinking 3 pins are for the "position" sensor (like a TP sensor on a car), and the last 2 are for a switch that starts the high frequency arc. Like i said I will probably buy one. Does any body know where I can get a Wiring Diagram for one of the hand controllers?

Again, thanks for the info.

P.S. I should have gotten one of the "Ready Pak" models.

I think you should get this info in operation manual of the equipament you have got.
    On the web site of the company that manufacture the machine you can find one ..

I made my own control. It's just a pot with a rather big knob. I use the edge of the knob as a slider, works fine for me. I'd like a foot control, but in many situations I would not be able to use it. The one I made is right where I keeep my thumb when welding, so I can always use that. And I like the shield gas cooled I have because it's light and the hoses are flexible.

When doing intricate work I run the hose through my left armpit, over the front of my left shoulder, behind my neck and down along the right arm. Then it's almost like there is no hose, it's following every arm movement.

I use it only for light work, no aluminum as it has only DC. So if your use is more demanding I'm sure DareBee is right on the need for water cooling.

If you bought the Lincoln from a dealer they will get that info for you. They probably will even if you didnt.

Thanks again for the info guys, im going to make my own control because i cant see spending $250 on a pot and a switch. Maybe i will post a pic of the completed project, then evrybody will want one and i will become a millionare! (fat chance of that happenin').

Thanks again and sorry for the late post, i had a run in with a little storm named Jeanne over the weekend.

dont even atemp to make a hand or foot control. It will never work right. I prefer a foot control hands down. Also a prefer a water cooled torch and u can build your own cooler. Quite easy. Your choice of buying the machine alone was a good one because you canget the torch with the amp rating you want.

Matt