586,119 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: SL-20 issues

SL-20 issues

Hey all,
    We have a 2007 SL-20. It was just installed last month and all we have ran on it is carb. vent tubes made out of brass. I went this morning to set it up on a new job and the handle jog was not working. I can still jog the axis with the soft keys but not the jog handle. The jog handle will also not scroll through the program in edit mode or change feed rate when in auto mode. I can power it all the way down and bring it back up. That alleviates the problem for a few minutes and then it returns. The dealer says it will be a few days before they can get a service tech out. In the meantime, I have the Head Engine builder wanting parts. Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Jason

I had the same problem on a mill. I took the back cover of the control and found it was the plug connecting the manual pulse generator to the circuit board was loose. I pushed things in firmly and tied the cables up so the weight of the cable was not hanging on the plug. No problems since then.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I pulled the cover and checked all connections. All seemed good and tight. I then powered it back up and ran 1 part. I went to edit the program and the hand wheel would not work again. I guess I will have to wait "a few days" till the service tech shows up. In the mean time, I will be getting further and further behind.
    Oh well, thanks Haas!

Can't you run the machine without the jog wheel? I can't think of anything that you can't do with other buttons. It's not quite as convenient but it works.
    Greg

Yeah, I could run it without the jog wheel. The point is the machine is brand new with less than 20 hours on it. Compound that issue with the snotty service manager just makes matters worse. The hand wheel is on there for a reason. That reason is to be a multi-functional tool for my benefit. I really do like the hand wheels muli-functions. It is not to be overlooked because it does not work. In the business we are in, parts are usually needed right away. Specs can literally change in minutes. Now I have little faith in this machine.I wish we had bought a Gildemeister. I can guarantee one thing, our next machine tool purchase will not be a Haas.
    We currently have 3 Fadal 6030 machines. 2 are setup for 5 axis cylinder head work and have the 32 MP control. The other one is setup for 4 axis work with a Numatix CNC retrofit. The company that services these machines are 3 states away yet I can get a service guy there in 1 day. The same can be said for the Deckels and Mazaks I have ran in the past.The dealer for this machine is 20 minutes away and I am told it will be a few days before I can get help. And when he told me this, he had a tone in his voice that sounded like he was doing me a favor.

I hear ya'. I was just confirming that you're not out of business, just inconvenienced for awhile. It's not like the spindle is down.

That sucks about your HFO though. Mine is really good.

And it sucks about the handwheel. I just got a new TL-1 and I was thinking how nice it feels compared to the one on my 2004 VF-2. I wonder if mine will die as well.

Yours isn't the first I've read about on here. They may have a bad batch or bad manufacturer.
    Greg

5thAxis
    Where are you at?
    I may have a phone number or two that might get a fire lit under them service guys

Here's another thing you might think about...
    Tell youre "Salesman" that either they are out there today, or come get it.
    I had them tell me that it would be a week before they could "Spare" someone to come service my machine. Why is that I asked...
    Because all our guys are busy on a new install was the answer.
    I wasn't happy

I am located in North Carolina. I fired up the machine this morning and all is ok so far. It has been intermittent. When it first started acting up, I was jogging X axis and it just stopped. It worked off and on Friday afternoon.
    It is very frustrating to say the least. Thanks again for your help.

5th -

What software version does your machine have?

Do you have live tooling option with that machine?

I believe it might be a software bug.

It is shame this got to you if indeed it's software related.

Easy fix though. Your local HFO should be able to correct this right away.

Keep us posted.

PROBLEM SOLVED! The service tech showed up this morning. I had to play with the machine for a few minutes to get it to act up. He ended up replacing the handwheel. It was dropping voltage across it. He was an extremely good service tech. I was very pleased with his work. If only the service manager was as good as the technician. I didn't like the manager's attitude. If the truth be known, I probably wouldn't have gotten as upset if I had received a better reply than "a few days". A few days is a big unknown in my line of work.
    I want to thank everyone who replied with help. It is truly appreciated.

Just an update to let all know that the service manager called this morning to check in on us and make sure everything was ok with the machine. The individual I spoke with previously WAS NOT the service manager. Service was provided the following Monday. I must really say the service tech was awesome. He was as good as I have seen in this business. I just wish I could have known that the service was going to be provided that Monday or Tuesday. The "a few days" reply unnerved me a bit. I think I may have overreacted a bit and everything worked out fine. We are satisfied with the machine and our HFO. I have ran some tight tolerance parts and has proven to be extremely repeatable.