586,104 active members*
3,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Production Lathe

My company needs a lathe to cut 2 retaining (snap) ring grooves in 1" diameter shafts of lengths ranging from 4" to 18". The grooves are cut about an 1/8" from each end. We need to run about 200 of these shafts per month. Is this too much work for one of these mini-lathes? Recommendations? I assume I need to look for a lathe with a spindle bore of at least 1"? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

for this the smallest is a 10x22 from grizzley. that should do what your looking for. that being said, i've never used the 10x22 and don't know what kind of cleanup may be required to make it run right.

I'd run the job through the spindle of a turret lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by toastydeath View Post
    I'd run the job through the spindle of a turret lathe.
    I'm guessing a turret lathe is not in the mini-lathe category? Is that correct?

A turret lathe is not in the same "category" as a mini lathe, but it can be a similar size. Turret lathes are far more rigid and are meant to be used as production tools (for your production job). They're handy when you need to make just enough of something for it to be aggravating to do on an engine lathe (or mini-lathe).

A turret lathe can be as big as a Warner & Swasey #5A, or a midsized W&S #3. The #3 is comparable to a bigger 15x50" engine lathe in form factor, but much heavier, with waaaay more horsepower, and a lot more rigidity.

They can also be small, taking up the same space as a hobbyist mini-lathe. The Hardinge HC and DV-59 come to mind. The DV-59 is what I would use for your job. The HC has more capacity in general machining tasks, but the DV-59 would suit your specific task better. It has a turret tailstock, for you to set up a part stop, and a hand-operated cross slide with a stop on that as well. This way, you can dial in the specific cutting depth of the groove and distance from the end of the bar, and run them very quickly with just a few lever pulls.

The best part is all these lathes can be found used, tooled, and in fairly good condition for about 1500 USD.

A turret lathe is not in the same "category" as a mini lathe, but it can be a similar size. Turret lathes are far more rigid and are meant to be used as production tools (for your production job). They're handy when you need to make just enough of something for it to be aggravating to do on an engine lathe (or mini-lathe).

A turret lathe can be as big as a Warner & Swasey #5A, or a midsized W&S #3. The #3 is comparable to a bigger 15x50" engine lathe in form factor, but much heavier, with waaaay more horsepower, and a lot more rigidity.

They can also be small, taking up the same space as a hobbyist mini-lathe. The Hardinge HC and DV-59 come to mind. The DV-59 is what I would use for your job. The HC has more capacity in general machining tasks, but the DV-59 would suit your specific task better. It has a turret tailstock, for you to set up a part stop, and a hand-operated cross slide with a stop on that as well. This way, you can dial in the specific cutting depth of the groove and distance from the end of the bar, and run them very quickly with just a few lever pulls.

The best part is all these lathes can be found used, tooled, and in fairly good condition for about 1500 USD.
    How far back into the spindle can a piece of stock go on the Hardinge's you referred to? Thanks.

The DV-59 takes 5C collets, and it's a through spindle with a lever operated drawbar. 1" will fit. The lathe will take whatever the largest 5C size is, but I forget what, exactly, that size is. It's somewhere under 1.5".

The DV-59 takes 5C collets, and it's a through spindle with a lever operated drawbar. 1" will fit. The lathe will take whatever the largest 5C size is, but I forget what, exactly, that size is. It's somewhere under 1.5".
    Thanks. I am working with 25 mm diameter stock so I should be okay.