586,590 active members*
2,920 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: not ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12

not ubuntu

Anyone using emc2 on a distro that is not ubuntu and if so what? and how did you set it up. i have tried on pclinuxos and just cant get rtai installed.
    Ubuntu cd just crashes on my laptop.

Installing on PcLinuxOS would really be swimming upstream.

I prefer Mepis over Ubuntu but for emc use ubuntu. The emc kernel would ruin Mepis special qualities in any case. PcLinux has the added factor of being an rpm distro, so goodbye easy updates

How much research have you done into the ubuntu crash situation? List the solutions you've tried and you'll get more suggestions. Does any ubuntu fail or just the emc release of ubuntu?
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

dont like ubuntu

My laptop has 256mb which i hear is too little for ubuntu, which is a memory hog. I dont want to buy more memory just to run one program cos for one i`m poor and also i dont like ubuntu as i have tried it before on my descktop machine and i hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bits View Post
    My laptop has 256mb which i hear is too little for ubuntu, which is a memory hog. I dont want to buy more memory just to run one program cos for one i`m poor and also i dont like ubuntu as i have tried it before on my descktop machine and i hated it.
    I am running Ubuntu in 256mb. I have read where others are running it in 128mb after the install. They had to put in 256mb to install.

Alan

Maybe a stupid question, but what Ubuntu version did you try? It should be 6.06, or EMC2 Live CD

Please describe what happends when you try to install RTAI. Have you installed all dependencies?

I am using gentoo. The install of rtai is the most difficult part. I ended up trying several times before I succeeded. I downloaded rtai-3.6test1 in order to get the patch files for the correct (read newer kernel version - 2.6.22)

The live CD (Ubuntu with EMC2) would not install for me at all it kept hanging no matter what i tried or what machine I loaded it onto.

I did the Ubuntu without EMC and it loaded - then loaded EMC2 from the website and all was good - having no problems with it.

I have read there are people using several different distros for EMC2 - just need to follow the install directions from the wiki or Linuxcnc.org

BMG

From the emc wiki
    We have chosen to use 6.06 because it's a "long term support" (LTS) release. If you use it, you can be sure of support and security fixes from the Ubuntu team for 3-5 years. However, we would be happy to accept and host packages for other versions if a user/developer of emc2 wishes to contribute them.
    Ubuntu was chosen for LTS and imo it was the right choice. Also the easy way to stay current with emc releases.

My main system is another linux. The machine running ubuntu/emc cost $75 at a garage sale. A Mach3 license is what? $130? The dedicated cnc computer was one of the cheapest parts of this project.

Just my $.02. Ubuntu is a pretty decent OS.

there is an emc bdi for dumpster grade computers ,it might be worth looking at that if the ubuntu is difficult to load , concidering the microsoft windows slamming within the linux community , i was suprised to discover how much of a hog ubuntu is .i'm using ubuntu 6.06 on a p4 , ive tryed smaller computers and it worked but it was slow ,also the base period in the config ini can be adjusted according to how fast the computer is , adjusting the base period directly affects the max speed of the (cnc)machine ,ive got my setup running at about 500 ipm on the x and y ,and it runs quite smoothly .

if you want any kind of real rapid and feed movements ,then you will need a fast pc

Some guy has emc2 running on Puppy Linux. Linux with gui doesn't get much lighter than that.

Another problem with an rpm distro is figuring out the dependencies. The guys at linuxcnc speak debian usually, the BDI guy also last I saw.

Looks like even Gentoo guys hit a few snags trying to do a kernel patch. j/k

had enough

Have tried to get EMC2 running but have decided that linux is too much hassle and am gonna use Mach 2 on windows I really wanted to like linux, but after 2 months of unsuccessfully trying to install RTAI , endless compile errors, files not found , unfathomable error messages, unfathomable commands, miles of typing , I give up.

Mr Bits, what version of Ubuntu did you try to install?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Some guy has emc2 running on Puppy Linux. Linux with gui doesn't get much lighter than that.

Another problem with an rpm distro is figuring out the dependencies. The guys at linuxcnc speak debian usually, the BDI guy also last I saw.

Looks like even Gentoo guys hit a few snags trying to do a kernel patch. j/k
    Called CoolCNC. Hasn't been worked on for awhile, but does boot in minimal memory.

CoolCNC Forum: http://cooltool.he.fdread.org/cncfor...wforum.php?f=4
    Puppy Linux: http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

RipperSoftware

cd

the The EMC2 Live CD

cd

The EMC2 Live CD

The EMC2 Live CD

Ok. Maybe you have better luck with the Ubuntu 6.06 alternate install cd?

If you get it up and running, you can install EMC2 as described here, in section 2

Btw, what hardware do you have?
    64bit systems do not work yet, as far as I know, but the EMC developers are working on it.

Its a sony vaio fx-802
    1.3 ghtz 256 mb

sony

its a sony vaio fx-802 laptop
    1.3 GZ 256 mb

Ok. Have you tried what I recommended in last post?

Page 1 of 2 12