586,119 active members*
3,583 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Side Milling

Side Milling

Hey Guys,
    I would like to ask for some input on side milling 316ss plate. We are roughing a 14''L x 6''W x 1 1/2''D block. Taking about 1/4'' off all the way round. We are currently using a 1'' Mitsubishi inserted cutter. Would a 1'' roughing end mill be a better approach to this? Again the material is 316 ss. that has been plasma cut. Thanks in advance for your response.

Does the inserted cutter have carbide inserts? If so, that would by my choice. A 1" rougher might tend to get torn up on the plasma cut stainless in short order, where the carbide insert cutter would be fine with it.

You mention that you are currently using the inserted cutter... are you having problems with it? Or is it just taking a long time to complete the job with the smaller passes?

Lastly, if you do decide to give the 1" rougher a try and it is being run in a collet as opposed to a holder with a set screw, keep a close eye on it (and flood it with coolant). In the tougher steels the roughers can pull out of the collet. You might start out taking a .200 deep cut at one end, and end up .300 deep at the other end of the 14" long cut. Ask me how I know.

Just another thought: don't "finish" any side before all the scale from the plasma cut has been removed. Otherwise the part may warp and your previously "finished" side may not stay flat.

I am using carbide inserts and the grade is for stainless steel. The small passes are taking a while and inserts are not holding up . We are taking 2 passes (.125 doc ) around the piece. I believe we are around SFM=280 and feeding 15 IPM. Thanks very much for the input. FYI the cutter has 4 inserts, 2 high @ 180 deg.

I'm sorry, I answered your post as if you were end-milling the material, but your thread title clearly said "Side Milling"

In this case, a rougher *may* serve you better, as long as you get completely under the plasma scale, which you probably are @ .125

I've always prefered using a high-speed steel cutter at low RPM and flooded with coolant for cutting stainless. Then switching over to a carbide insert cutter for a small finish pass.