586,096 active members*
3,696 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    2 wires on the same pin. Nope, does not make sense unless its a transformer coupled resolver (unlikely)

Maybe somebody with a bandit has the pinout.

I went back and looked at your photos and those motors look like they have a tach-generator.

What are you going to use to drive the motor?
    my projects:
    http://www.barryfish.com

Barry, I have had it apart. That’s how I found the black and yellow signal wires attached to one pin on the cable connector. By the way, my name is Josh Shumer. Sorry for being so rude.

Anoter obvious question

Josh,

Have you called them?

You might easily work your way into the system and find a tech that has been there long enough to remember your motors.

Website does not look like it's in India.

Barry
    my projects:

Here is a pic of it. It’s not that great of one because it was taken with my phone. I purchased a package from CamSoft. ICM-2900 – Interconnect, DMC-1832 - Galil 3-axis motion control card, 1525-BR – DynaDrive, and CamSoft’s CNC Light software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0102082204.jpg  

If I may jump in here, if you are looking to decifer whether you have resolvers or not is to measure the resistance of the feedback leads and S1 S2 etc and if you get anything like a few 100 ohms or so between the pairs then they are resolvers.
    They also have the appearance of a miniature motor.
    Also if you have 11 pins this would carry the 6 resolvers signals and two armature and two tach leads.
    The resolvers typically used on these are low resolution devices with a magnetic field induced into the rotor and the S secondaries are the two phase outputs.
    If this is what you have, then you will need encoders. Also modern torque mode drives do not use the tach, so what I do is remove the Tach brushes if you can get to them.
    I just saw your pic they definately look like resolvers.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Two of the 11 pins on the connector are not used. Two of the four wires coming from the bottom connect to one pin.

Probably the easiest way is to remove what you don't use, unless you intend using the resolvers then I would just remove them and their connections, there should be 6 resolver wires coming out all together.
    Al.

Albert E.

There are six wires coming from the back of the Encoder or Resolver. 1 set of 4 small wires, and 1 set of 2 small wires you can see in the pic. Two of the four join at the connector. Then I have the 5v red, and the common, and the motor power hot and not. These motors worked on my Shizuoka. They are the same cables off that machine.

A typical resolver such as in the pic has a primary pair and two secondary pair, non of them usually have DC on them.
    The 1 pair on their own are probably the primary.
    If you measure across any of the other two pair and get a low resistance it could confirm it, but according to your pic it definitely looks to be a resolver.
    Al.

Albert E.

Yup

That small motor looking deal looks very much like a "syncro resolver" to me. 2 wires are an input "AC excitation" and the three other wires are the sine / cosine outputs.

I did not see a resolver input on the boards on the Galil site, but did not have your model number. Resolvers might work. maybe. Resolvers were very popular in the Apollo Moon Mission Days (don't ask me how I know)

The tach-gen will be of use with your amps, but you still encoders to go to the controller board if you can't find a way to use the resolvers.

Personally I'd dismantle the 3 motors, blow out the carbon dust, re-assemble and test them without a load to see if the main motors are good. They should only draw a fraction of an amp if the are OK (unloaded)

Then once you get working motors you could cut off the tachs and resolver and append a more modern digital encoder.

now you have MOTOR--TACH--RESOLVER
    I'd change to MOTOR--DIGITAL ENCODER

I'm still uneducated as to your control system but I'm out of time tonight.
    I'll try to read up on it tomorrow.

regards,

Barry
    my projects:

The Galil 1832 only accept sinusoidal commutation for AC servos, for brushed or BLDC you need quadrature encoders, but it will accept both differential or single ended 5v or 12v.
    Also dual encoder, if need be.
    The problem with resolvers, although more rugged than encoders are much lower resolution capable, they were often geared up in the early systems that used them.
    I use the Galil line quite extensively and find them an excellent product to work with.
    Al.

Albert E.

So i can't hook up what i have at all?? They sent me 3 brushed servo drives and the power supply mounted on a chassis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0103080055.jpg  

Don't freak out

From what Al says and what I've seen so far it looks like you have everything you need excepe (digital) encoders.

You will need to do a tiny motor mod (if your motors are good) to remove the resolvers and install the encoders.

I'll give you 4 new encoders. Send me a PM with an address.

Al, do you concur?

Barry
    my projects:

It should work, what are the resolution of the encoders.
    Galil automatically multiply the quadrature count x 4, the do not offer the choice of x1 x2 as some motion cards do, but due to the fact that they accept up to 12mhz encoder rate input, too high a resolution is not a concern, usually you just need to ensure you have sufficient count to reach the position resolution you need, I usually use 1000 count as a general rule (Galil =4000/rev).
    Al.

Albert E.

encoders

This is probably a dumb question, but what do I need 4 encoders for? This is really not my forte.

Quote Originally Posted by jshumer1 View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but what do I need 4 encoders for? This is really not my forte.
    You need to put one on the shelf as a spare.

Albert E.

Dilemma

How difficult a process is it changing these out? I found a pdf of a resolver similar to the ones on the motor. This one in part # 11BRW-300-F-95A. The one on the motor is # 11BRW-300-F1/6. It seems to me they go with the same schematic. All the color codes are the same plus the one set of four, and the one set of two wires are the same.
    Also my same resolvers they listed as $1,340.00. Why is something not as good so stinking expensive? I know my X and Y axis motors are in good working condition. My dad paid a ton to have them rebuilt about five or so years ago. He never got the Bandit control on the Shizuoka CNC running so they have just sat there looking pretty. I have just dumped around four grand into this retrofit. Now that I’m committed, I hope I didn’t screw myself. By the time I’m through, it probably would have been worth buying the $8,000 bolt on kits. Oh well, live and learn I suppose. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks Josh

It is not that that resolvers are not as good, in fact they do not suffer from some of the draw backs that encoders do, They are very noise-free due to being very low impedance, and very rugged, it is just that encoders became very much cheaper, and with differential drivers, became less noise prone, and capable of much higher resolution.
    They have come back into vogue, to some extent, for commutation of AC servo's.
    But I think you will have to be resigned to the fact that with the system you have, encoders will have to be fitted, as much as it hurts to get rid of $1,300.00 resolvers.
    Usually the reality is that if you put a high end system on a low end CNC machining centre, it only pays if you get the system for a bargain or used prices, if a production machine, you may re-coup eventually, if hobby then it is questionable if it pays, unless you value the retro-fit experience itself.
    Al.

Albert E.

Point well put

Al, the whole reason for me doing this retrofit is to get at least two machines up and cutting. Right now with only one machine I’m screwed if it goes down for any reason. This will give me an out and enable me to cut the top and the bottom of mold, or two separate dies simultaneously. This is my dad’s old shop I run now, and I’d like to get it back up to full capability. Can you or Barry tell me what is involved with changing out my resolvers? Thanks, Josh

oops

Sorry, don’t think it matters but I forgot to post the attachment a couple of posts ago.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 3 123