586,036 active members*
3,400 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Engraving small lettering.

Engraving small lettering.

Is MasterCam the best for this? I need some pretty small clean text. What tool should be used for this? Is MasterCam the right program for this?

It can easily do engraving. Is it the best? That's a matter of opinion.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

thanks I tried engrave tool path, but am confused about which tool would work best, also how do you handle the inside of of the lettering. to make a letter a solid block is not engrave I guess. a little bit confused about how to make nice lettering.

Show us what you are trying to make and what version of MC?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

MasterCam X. Is just a simple plaque to put on the wall, kind of like an award the plaque has some lettering, a two sentence phrase. the part measures 5"x8" with a 3d image of a bird in middle. the bird is done. the text goes under it.

Thanks!
    R

Question BobCad is easy.

I tried Mastercam a friend has, and it was making life difficult.
    BobCad was much easier.
    Make the letters, orient them, select them one at a time and generate the fragment of g-code for that letter, then used a macro to Up/down to create code to go UP.
    I never bothered to figure out how to move from letter to letter and having it move the Z up and down.
    I am sure it can doit all at once, but I never bothered to fiddle too much.
    It still made a pretty PUMP/LAMP switch with 5mm letters to try it out.
    I suppose I should read the manual/help.
    I still haven't figured which CAM package I need (or like/hate)
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Instead of engraving try the contour(works better than the engraving part) in Mastercam, with comp turned off.

Ok guys, I made a little engraving video. please review and let me know if this helps.
    give a min to start once you see the splash screen.
    http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/engr...engraving.html
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Great video, now I get to show the guys at work how to use that engrave part of the program that they all don't use.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    Make the letters, orient them, select them one at a time and generate the fragment of g-code for that letter, then used a macro to Up/down to create code to go UP.
    In Mastercam you create letters in the orientation you want (one step eliminated), select them all at the same time (multiple steps eliminated), generate the operation (for ALL letters, eliminating many steps), click post, send to machine.

Doesn't get much easier than that.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Ok guys, I made a little engraving video. please review and let me know if this helps.
    give a min to start once you see the splash screen.
    http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/engr...engraving.html
    Excellent video, thank you.

I bought two .025 endmills from McMaster. Would I just do better to use spot drills as you had on your video?

Also when you did the pocketing way of cutting the letters how come you did not check island pocketing in pocketing options or is that not needed?

Thanks
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Rich05 View Post
    Would I just do better to use spot drills as you had on your video?
    If you're contouring, probably yes. I use 90° spot drills most of the time, but for smaller letters I use a number 0 or number 00 center drill.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

When I engrave with MC, I use contour with the comp turned off, select the lettering with a window, and use a carbide center drill (0 or 1) at about .002/.003 deep.

wganders, all ready in the video as one way to engrave.
    I also use a a engraving tool from Micro100 one sided spade cutter with 60 deg to a point.

(Also when you did the pocketing way of cutting the letters how come you did not check island pocketing in pocketing options or is that not needed?) Because I did not have diffrent hight ilands standing so need.
    Cadcam

Smile

Hello, I use a no 1 or a no 2 centerdrill. I create the letters then us modify, window and drag them where you want them. I have done alot of engraving, just change the size of the centerdrilll and the depth. I also use windows fonts to get the nice lettering. They are actully true type fonts which you need alot of machine memory for becaus ethey are splines. Pat