586,117 active members*
3,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 7 123

Started to build my plasma table.

I have started to build my plasma table. I have used 65x65x2.5mm galvanised s.h.s. The size of the table is 3.5meters x 2meters. It is huge! It will be able to cut a full sized sheet of material, which is 3mx1.5m.

I will take some photo's and post them up. The basic frame has just about been completed. I have 6 castor wheels on it to move it around, four of which are in the corners and are locking wheels.

I can hardy wait for the pictures.
    Being outside the square !!!

Yeh, lets see some pics!!!

here are some pics

Here are some pics of the table.

3500x2000x900mm.

pics won't upload

how do i upload a pic?

i just went to browse and select the pic and submit reply and thats all that happened.

is your pic file too big? Try it again.

here is a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table looking out garage door.jpg  

I like your welding helmet.

-Sven

I dont know how plasma cutters work. But I was wondering if there was going to be a problem with cutting through those cross beams. Would it be an idea to have strips of steel in turned sideways in the middle. If you had slots at each end you could replace the strips as needed.

Maybe plasma cutting isnt like oxy cutting!

WOW! That's a Monster! Looks good.

Re: Started to build my plasma table.

Originally posted by Apples
    It is huge!
    Understatement Apples !

Well done so far I'll follow this one with interest.
    (said it before and I'll say it yet again I really admire you guys that scratch build a machine as my recent retrofit has been an enormous amount of work/thought to complete)

i am going to have 4 lengths of angle iron welded onto those cross braces and then every 2inches or so cut a slot into the angle and insert some flat steel. The flat steel i will use would have to be around 75mm or 3" wide. that means that i should have 75mm of clearance between the bottom of my sheet of steel that i am cutting and those cross braces. Hopefully this is enough clearance.

Yeah that is a pretty awesome looking welding helmet, it is an automatic darkening one too.!

Here is a new photo of my plasma table.
    Since the last photo, I have grinded back all the welds and painted the frame with one coat of charcoal hammerite paint.

She is slowly coming along.

Still deciding whether to use linear bearings with shafts and pillow block supports. Or to use the 'dual-l-vee' / bishop wise carver bearings.

What are everyone's opinions.

Apples :cheers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01558.JPG  

How are things going? I've looked at the dual vee specs, and I think they may be overkill for a plasma table. But if you used them, you would have a killer router!

Hi everyone.
    Apples,
    What you're still deciding is about the way you will make the support to put the sheet to be cut on the table?

Going to use angle iron to support the sheets of steel. Building has stopped now as i have to fininsh putting up the front fence, retaining wall, lay the turf etc. etc. , Give me a couple months for further progress.

Apples

I know how that goes, I'm currently building a shed, so a converted mill and plasma table will have to wait.

Going to use angle iron to support the sheets of steel. Building has stopped now as i have to fininsh putting up the front fence, retaining wall, lay the turf etc. etc. , Give me a couple months for further progress.
    I know how that goes, I'm currently building a shed, so a converted mill and plasma table will have to wait.
    The other way to look at it, is finish the machine, and the money you make from using your machine can go into paying someone else to do those other jobs.
    My option leaves you with a working machine and a built fence etc, as opposed to a unfinished machine and a built fence in a similar amount of time.

I need something to put the mill amd plasma in! And the cost of the shed has broke the bank. BTW it's a 12 x 30 garden shed with a 8.5' x 10' bi-fold door.

The only reason that i am making this plasma table, or the main reason is to make money from it. I hope to cut out parts for fabrication shops.

I am a bit skeptical at the moment. Just wondering if it is worth building?Especially if i can't make money from it.

I just hope that i can make money from it, otherwise i am down $15,000.

Maybe i should just buy a bobcat and a small truck and get into that? What are everones thoughts?

Cheers Apples

Page 1 of 7 123