586,112 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport series II interact II tool holders ?

Bridgeport series II interact II tool holders ?

I know this question has been asked before but it seems that there has been conflicting answers in the past threads. I have a bridgeport series II interact 2there is no drawbar I have the collett that you tighten with a spanner wrench to tighten the tool holder. So which taper is it bt30, nmtb30, or erickson quick change 30? I'm a newbie to CNC so forgive me if these are all the same thing I just want to be sure to get the right holders.

taper for series II

Hello need a bit more info but if the outside diameter of the quill is about 3.75" its 30 international, if it's 6.000" diameter then it's 40 international also this size will have a 4 HP motor the smaller 30 int will have a 2 HP motor both spindles are probably Bristol Erickson locking ring, hope this helps cheers Colin.

thanks Colin so I have a 30 international. I guess I'm still confused does this mean that a bt30, nmtb30, or a quick change 30 toolholder will work. Again i'm new at this

series II taper

Hello again I would more than likely say that you have a BT30 locking ring on your machine check to see if it has three Button head screws around the circumferance if so this a Bristol Erickson locking ring and takes the tooling with one flange for locking the tool into the spindle and two notches for the driving dogs on the spindle hope this sets your mind at rest, see if you can borrow a 30 int toolholder from someone to try it out. Cheers Colin

Yes!! thank you very much for your help. Hopefully I will be able to return the favor in the future.

Be aware that Int 30 is not the same as QC30.The flange of the QC is smaller in diameter and thicker than the Int30.
    Hood who posts here sometimes has copy of the spec somewhere.
    Mark.

The QC30's have a flange Dia of 46mm and flange thickness of 8.76mm.
    The Int30's have a flange Dia of 50mm and flange thickness of 8mm.
    Hood

Okay I found a holder that fits and seems to lock tight it has the dimensions for a qc-30 that hood provided. So one more dumb question is there anyway that the qc-30 be put in the 30 int spindle and feel okay but really is not fitting how it is suppose to. I'm assuming they could not because of the 4mm difference in the diameter but I hate to assume. Thanks for everyones patience

Not really sure what you are asking, but if your spindle has the Bristol Erickson QC nose on it so you will need to get yourself QC30 holders. It would be an easy task to turn or grind the 50mm Dia of the Int30 holders down to 46mm to fit in the B.E. nose but the important dimension on the QC30's is the 8.76mm thickness. As the Int30's only have 8mm thick flanges you wont be able to lock them into the taper. I have heard that some have adjusted the locking ring so that it can lock on thinner flanges but then they couldnt use the thicker QC30 ones unless they readjusted the ring. I tried this but couldnt get the ring adjusted enough to lock the turned down Int30 holders but maybe mine was just too worn?

Hood

Hood even though you weren't sure what I was asking for, you answered my question. I feel very confident that I have qc-30 tooling. Normally I'm not this incompetent but for some reason I confused myself and thankfully you were all there to bail me out Many thanks and happy holidays

You think you're confused… This stuff is made by Kennametal now, who is owned by (or owns) J&L Supply. If you go to the J&L web page at:

http://www.jlindustrial.com/Machines...ries/2083.html

and search on "Erickson QC 30" you'll find listings. But, if you click on the View Page icon, you'll see that in the print catalog they're listed as 30 NMTB, no mention of Erickson.

All is not lost, however. Look at the "Kennametal Tool Number" (not the J&L catalog number) All the old Erickson Quick Change stuff begins with either QC30, QC40, or QC50. You want the QC30 stuff.

I just bought a couple more double angle collet tool holders. I searched as above, then took the Kennametal numbers and searched on them in the MSC Supply online catalog:

http://www1.mscdirect.com

Turns out MSC now owns J&L, stocks all the Kennemetal tooling, and had better prices. Go figure. Problem is, searching for Erickson QC 30 on the MSC page wasn't finding them, and they also don't list the variety that takes the DA200 series collets I've standardized on. Going the route of finding the numbers in the J&L catalog and using them to search MSC brought up the listings.

Anyway, the tool holders that came were exactly the same as what I had, so I'm happy. What make some people unhappy is not being able to find cheap import knock-offs of this stuff.

I guess I'm relieved that I'm not the only confused one out there.I would rather buy used than cheap knockoffs. Thanks Dennis for clearing up what I need to do for ordering through msc.
    I was talking to one of my coworkers the other day, he said "that a place called michigan drill supplies those and they have quality tooling" http://www.michigandrill.com/ I never purchased anything from there but I probably take a look since I'm from Michigan and our economy is tumbling down quickly.

QC30 collets

Hi All, Happy New Year!

I also have an Interact II with the QC30 holders. What collets are used with these and can I get a #3 MT holder so I can use the same collets in my lathe?
    THanks,
    HMC710

It depends on what type of collet holder you have. I have a few different ones namely DA series (180, 200 and 100) and also ER (32 and 16)
    If your collet holder is the DA type then I dont think you can get a morse taper version but could be wrong. If they are ER holders then yes you can get ER collet holders with Morse tapers.
    There are also a few other types of collet holders that I have seen on a QC30 taper, I have seen Clarckson, Acramil and a few others.
    If you can post a pic of the collets you use someone will be able to identify it for you.

Hood

collets

Thanks Hood,
    One of the collets I can read is:

Erickson 75TG0469

15/32 4110CC7

I dont think Ih have ever seen morse holders for the TG collets, heres a link to the TG's, is this them?
    http://www.jlindustrial.co.uk/ECO-29...D/product.html

Hood

TG collet

Looks close altho my "nose" dia is the same as the body dia before the taper but that just could be the difference between the 75TG and 100TG. I was just trying to keep from having a bunch of different collets laying around if I could use the same one in the mill and lathe tail stock. They have ER style for #3 MT I know.
    Thanks for the link and I'll do some research.
    HMC710

QC 30 Collet holder for TG 75

I think this will work for the QC 30 collet holder. I have the TG 75 collets. I can't find the TG 75 collets on Enco site.
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=319-3149

The tooling that came with my "Bridgeport Series II Interact 2" is called "Kennametal QC 30". It is available on ebay, but kind of pricey.

I have a relatively large quantity of it, but at this point I do not consider selling any of it.

i