586,094 active members*
3,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What's the max table and head travel on your X3 mill?

What's the max table and head travel on your X3 mill?

What small mods are possible to increase the travels on the X3 mill?

I have heard that you can grind a little bit off the end plates of the table to get an extra inch or so of X-travel. How much does it add?

How much Y-axis travel can be obtained with various levels of modification? I know on the RF45 you can grind the leadnut slot on the base out to get an extra inch or few of travel.

I know on the X1 and X2 mills, you can make a squared block to bolt between the column and the base to get extra column height and thus more usable Z-travel (after vices and such are factored in). Has anyone done this with the X3?

*edit*

Extra search terms since this info has probably been posted, but is lost somewhere in the forum since "X3" can't be searched:
    G0463 , 93885 , extended

Quote Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post

I know on the X1 and X2 mills, you can make a squared block to bolt between the column and the base to get extra column height and thus more usable Z-travel (after vices and such are factored in). Has anyone done this with the X3?

*edit*

Extra search terms since this info has probably been posted, but is lost somewhere in the forum since "X3" can't be searched:
    G0463 , 93885 , extended
    I know that it would be easy enough to do this with the x3, provided you were able to get a longer leadscreaw for the z axis. It is built inside the column and would need to be extended as far as the addition.

The X3 table is pretty basic as far as mounting etc, and I could see where a replacement table could be fabricated and add quite a bit of space to the overall work envelope. I am comfortable with the travel I have now, but that may change someday.

With all the information about casting, etc on this site. There is hope for us all.

There is a trade off when you extend the travel on a axis. On X and Y it results in less contact with the dovetails therefore more slop in the table.
    Best solution is to get a larger table and modify it to fit the X3 base.
    I did this successfully on an X2.
    On an X3 the column height is good and even with a vice I can't imagine needing more travel in that axis. It would mean you have to get a longer leadscrew but if you are going to CNC the machine then you might want to use a ballscrew so it is not a big issue.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Yeah on the X- and Y-axes I just meant as far as things like removing material that blocks motion, not necessarily how far off the slides one could go. I wouldnt assume more than an inch off the end of the dovetails in any direction.

Just to give you an idea here are some pics of the extents of travel and dovetail engagement on my X3

X travel is 400mm and the Y is 160mm.

No matter what size a mill is you always want a bit more eventually though I can't imagine wanting more Z clearance.

But then again I have another bigger mill.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-.jpg   X+.jpg   Y travel3.jpg   Y travel4.jpg