586,077 active members*
3,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant-proof boots

I run a Haas VF-11 vertical mill. Due to the nature of my work i am constantly inside the machine. I owned a pair of Mack brand boots and the coolant ate through the soles in about 2 months. I was wondering if anyone new of a good brand of coolant resistant boots, or a way to create a seal from the coolant

Dr. Martens soles are pretty tough, look into Red wing shoes and boots. They make all kinds of boots for different work environments.

Some of the chemicals we use at work eat all the stitching out of my boots after a month or so. I have went back to my trusty Danner and even Bates boots and have had the pair I had on for almost 2 years now. My Danners are Acadias which are USMC issued gortex and the Bates ICWB's I got were from the PX are gortex also but with a removable thinsulate liner. Might could try them.

Use a grren coolant such as hangsterfers

we already use hangstefers

Which coolant are you using? S-500? Neosol?

most boots will say if they are oil resistant
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

1. We use Hangsterfers S-500 coolant
    2. My boots that melted were "oil resistant"

see what it does to your boots in 2 months! Imagine ,after you throw 2 tons of super hot 420 stainless chips into your coolant and all it does is create toxic smoke that turns the whole shop a blue haze and we breathe it day in and day out! Imagine what it does to your lungs!!! And your eyes burn all day. And they tell me I cant smoke in the shop !(Olympia VBM Operator)

go to payless and purchase these boots that look like leather. but they are plastic. put some oder eaters in those bad boys and you are good to go. i have had mine for a year and not a scratch on them. you feet will sweat a little because they are plastic. but they are truly coolant resistant. :rainfro: oh yeah, they olny cost $12.00

When I was gainfully employed; prior to retirement, the only steel toe work boot I would ever buy were made in Texas for Oil Field worker by a company called RedWing shoes

RedWing

WidgitMaster
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Update

All in all i decided to go with the Redwings, and after a couple of months i can say that they work great! When i went into buy them i couldn't help but notice that the soles were of a much more heavy duty construction than my old boots. I have never had a better fitting pair of boots, and the soles are here to stay. Attached are 2 pics of my old soles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boot1.jpg   Boot2.jpg  

I have a pair of Dickies boots at the moment that seem to be holding up quite well.