586,103 active members*
3,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma Cutter Water Table?

I am looking for information on what it takes to set up a water table for a plasma table. I read a note some one posted a while back about the height of the water to the bottom of the cutting surface for best performance and I don't remember what that height was. Nor do I know anything else about it.
    What are the ins and out? the do's and don'ts? How deep should the water be? what type of additive do you use for keeping the water from stagnating?
    How much of a mess from splash? Is there a way to prevent splashing of water all over the palce? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bobbyr70,

I usually keep my water about 1/4" below the sheet. My water is about 3 1/2" deep. I use Plasma Quench, from Koal Industries, as an additive to my water to keep it from stagnating and keep the water from getting rusty and brown. As for the splashing, it's not that bad. A little water gets on the Z axis assembly and some water splashes onto the floor when cutting close to the edge of the table. I suppose you could come up with some kind of flexible shield to reduce the splashing.

Here's a video link of my machine and water table.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFT__gESOfc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFT__gESOfc[/ame]

Here's a link to my machine thread on cnczone
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42780

Thanks, that says alot and gives me everything I need to set up what I want.

After reading your information about the machine you built is sounds a lot like what I am building. I am working on a cnc retrofit for a round column mill right now. Using Kielings components, drives with 1200 oz.in. motors. The table I am building is going to be larger. I plan to fabricate the nexen style drive rack and pinion for the x axis. I also am planning to use the dual x axis drive. I found a coulple of bayside gear reducers for the right price so I can get the speed and torque to drive it. with a 2" pinoin I had to go that way. I'm still a long way from getting it going but have accumulated many parts and started on the bench top retro. I have an x3 I am learning on using Mach3 and bobcad. It is a great learning tool and is making parts for the other machine.
    Thanks again and Yes I agree just do it. I too purchased the THC300. I can see the savings add up fast.
    We have an old plasma machine at work and that thing is a pain without the water table and the thc. It doesn't work anymore and I am trying to get them to build one for them selves. I will show them your video and your thread and see if I can get enough interest.

Good luck with your machine and getting work to build one as well.