586,080 active members*
3,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My new Taig Enclosure using 80/20

First, I'd like to thank all the wonderful people on this forum for the pictures and ideas presented here. Makes it rather convenient to cherry pick the best of them and come up with something that fits my needs. I made this enclosure using 80/20 QuickFrame and locally available items. The motor is ducted to draw outside air for cooling, the 14 ga galv. floor is pitched towards the rear of the cabinet so coolant can waterfall into a collection gutter. The gutter (from Menards) is pitched to drain into a 10 gallon steel pail for recirculation. The Taig was mounted level on aluminum plates with flashing installed around the base. Silicone caulk seals all joints. The coolant is Oakflo DSS700. If I open the flow valve full blast, the coolant sheet flows into the gutter like a negative edge swim pool. Looks really cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010056.jpg   P1010051.jpg  

That's really nice. How well does the coolant remove the chips? Any chance of a video showing the action?

Bob Hayes

Thanks. I just got it up & running and have only engraved a little on aluminum. The next day, I found nothing to speak of on the mill table or the floorpan but there was a dried up trail of aluminum chips in the gutter leading to the drain. For steel use, I'll put a series of bar magnets inside or outside the gutter channel.

You might try a paint strainer in line with the coolant return. The magnets, of course, only work with magnetic material, and you need to filter everything out before it gets into the sump.

Bob Hayes

Looks Great! How about some pictires with the coolant system and it running? -Adam
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

I'm still fine tuning the filtration. Right now, there is a copper scouring pad shoved in the drain of the gutter, about 1/2 way. This traps some aluminum. Next, I'll mount a stainless steel, fine mesh strainer basket on the underside of the lid of the steel can. Possibly lay another filter mesh on that. The gutter drain pipe passes thru a hole in the lid and empties into this basket, then of course into the can. The submersible pump rests inside a stainless steel hair and lint pot (8" dia.) from a commercial swim pool pump. That pot, which is perforated sheet steel, also is wrapped in brass window screening. The pot design keeps the pump about 3/4" off the bottom of the 10 gallon can. The pump has side suction so it should never plug up or run dry. I'll try to get some videos up soon , but present OS problems on this computer prevent downloading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010064.jpg   P1010054.jpg  

Here's a better look at the waterfall and recovery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010062.jpg  

I'll try that again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010067.jpg   P1010053.jpg  

Thats awesome, I'm building an enclosure for my Taig and hope too post soon

-Speed

Where did you obtain the 80/20, did you use Ebay? I plan on doing so.

-Speed

Wink

Yes, it all came from 80/20's garage sale on ebay. I think the al sticks were 4 ft or so and I cut them to length. Not too much scrap was left over. The materials make a very sturdy, easily put-together frame. I really likes the door hinges because the doors can lift off and detach if necessary. The framing accepts 1/4" thick panels and form a tight seal using their rubber strip glazing. If you don't need to see thru all sides and top, you can save some using 5/16" hollow cored plastic sheeting instead. I don't remember the exact name of the material but itis similar to 200# cardboard in construction design. Price is about $26 bucks a 4x8 sheet at Menards. Sign companies use a lot of it. Plexiglass is $132 a sheet around here. The 80/20 portion was approx. $170.00 with all the hardware. Mike over there provides excellent service. Shipping, packaging, communication etc is +1. Thanks for the nice comments. Good luck to you. I have been watching your posts and revisions. It takes time.

Ok great thanks for letting me know. I'm using the same framing, quick frame and going too purchase from ebay.

Is it called Foam Board? It has like a foam interior with like a paper outside? But probably not it. I'm doing what you did with the corner and back, except I was thinking about wood and, sanding and painting? I want a nice clean and bright area.

I will be posting soon, thanks for the help.

-Jason

Jason,
    the panels are 100% made of plastic, probably pvc. If you go to a building center, look in the 4x8 paneling area. This stuff was called Dura thermal lite or something like that. It has cellular ribbing cavities inside it for strength, basically the same design as heavy duty cardboard only all plastic. I think any paper product would eventually fail. Not sure about wood and paint, I guess it depends on how you do it.

Very true, I knew it wasn't foam board it would make no sense. Ok, I'll need too check lowes or Home Depot.

-Speed

I think they call that material choroplast at a sign shop.

There's a good selection of TSlots remnants on the Automation Overstock website (www.automation-overstock.com). If you can't find the extrusions you need on EBay, they might have what you need.

Nice Enclosure! Good ideas on coolant recovery also.

The fluted plastic is called Coroplast ( http://www.coroplast.com/ ) and a very small select can be found at Home Depot though you can probably buy it cheaper from a sign shop or plastics supplier. Another option is Expanded PVC.

Great enclosure. I love it!! I want one.

Beautiful enclosure. I do wonder about your straining of the coolant though. Why not have a settling tank first instead of all the screens? Of course you will still need some screening but if using an overflow system it would catch most. Also how are you tilting the floor? I see plywood under the whole enclosure but it all looks pretty level. I run a large flat pan under my mill at the moment and quite a bit of coolant is slow to drain. How about a video on youtube of the whole system in action?