586,096 active members*
3,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Layout drawings, Parts List & Kit question

I have finally finished editing all of the Joe's CAD drawings by adding dimensions to it and made 2 layout sheets for a 48 X 96 X 1/2 MDF so if anyone needs it just yell out. I will also transfer them to PDF; it's always handy to have some simple 8 1/2 X 11 in the shop.

My question is : Is there a list of required parts, such as motors, controllers, etc.., other then wood/plastic components; and, are kits still available for this set up? I did see some kits in this forum that Joe has provided . I know this is a DIY gig but the construction design looks great and I would like to be able to do some "semi" precise work with it, so if anyone can recommend a package that will not cost me a kidney or two, please let me know.

Thanks & Have a Great New Year to all.

If you e-mail me everything you have i can look it over and post them here as well as the yahoo group, would help people out alot.

As far as controller and motors, i would get the HobbyCNC 3 axis kit (and an extra Axis in case you want to ass an indexer lathe later on, might as well get it for the extra 25 dollars or so), the 305 oz motors (they are actually 425oz/in in bi-polar).

the assembly has a list of hardware and there is a spread sheet i think on the yahoo group.

Joe

Joe,

I'll go over the drawings to see if all the dimensions are there. Some of the holes and cuts are opposite/mirrored so I just included the sizes for one side. Anyone that can read prints can figure that one out. As soon as I finish that and create PDF copies I'll e-mail it you. The layout I did of how to cut the parts out of a sheet of MDF was designed to be used for rough jigsaw cuts only and not for CNC routing (might do with a 1/8" blade).

I guess I will start the project with the listed parts just to get it going and maybe do some changes later. Since you did not mention the "kit" I presume that part of the business is out on a permanent vacation. Most of the time great ideas do not sell well. You need to come up with something stupid and shiny and it'll go like hotcakes. Like those fake little air vents that people glue to their car fenders. I think I'll get some for this machine; who knows, they say it improves the performance...

Sorry i did not respond to the kit, i was at work and in a hurry, i will send you a pm.

Joe

I did finish all of the necessary dimensioning for the parts and did a layout for THE 1/2" MDF ONLY. I can e-mail it to you in let say 4 files per e-mail so that the server can hanle it. I'm still working on the PDF format but for those that can not wait, there's always a "stay free mini pad version" of it, in some Cuban torrent, ask Castro before he takes off.

I did receive some pm's regarding of how it is possible to fit it all on 2-4X8's. This layout is only for the 1/2" MDF, not the 1/4" box covers or the 3/4" Z axis MDF or Plastic parts.

Joe,

I got the PDF ready for posting. There is your Manual, Parts List, Layout Sheets (2), an all of the wood pcs. with dimensions. This is all in one file and it's 1.56 MB. Will your Yahoo e-mail account handle the size. I also have it in AutoCad. Did not finish any of the plastic dimensioning yet. Let me know, I'll try to e-mail it right now to see if it goes.

Butter, I sent you a PM.
    www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Hey Joe, I am in the process of getting ready to build your machine, or at least getting everything together. I was looking at the sheet layout of your machine that was done by butterRPG. I was was working on one myself so I didn't have to finish mine. I was going through it and fixed a couple of things, Some of the parts were too close together and it was missing several things. I have several questions about the design. I was working off of the cad files but there are no depths given so I had to work off of the sketchup drawings. I wanted to make sure the depths are correct. Here are pics of the thicknesses. Green is 1/4" , Gray is 1/2" and red is 3/4".

I saw some issues though. The router clamps measured out at 3/4" but in your pictures it didn't appear to be. I also saw that they were made out of hdpe as well as some other parts. Here are the layout files that I made. I had use the sketchup files to determine the depths of all of the recessed parts.

http:www.distorteddesigns.com/cnc/JOE PARTS AND LAYOUT NEW LG.pdf

http://www.distorteddesigns.com/cnc/...LAYOUT NEW.dwg

I added the vacuum parts as well but I didn't know how thick the parts were as well as the dept of the recessions on them. I also didn't know the depth of the anti-backlash parts as well as the recession depth. Check over everything and let me know what you think.

You have some of the parts on your 3/4" panel that should be on the HDPE panel. Like bearing blocks, backlash nut supports (there are 2 more blocks below it that are missing), and 2 vertical router clamp holders. Take a look at Joe's Manuel and you will see photos of this stuff or on some of the posts here. You were jumping to conclusions when you e-mailed me a couple of times today saying that parts are missing and so on without actually studying the plans, as I can see from what you have here. The colors look cool. It would be great if you can place some dimensions on the HDPE parts. I wanted to ask the same about the vacuum part but have decided to build that last since I do not know what type of vacuum or a spindle I will end up with.

The manual I downloaded only had instructions for building the z axis. So there were some assumptions I had to make. I didn't know what the hold down clamp was for? It is not in the sketchup drawings so I didn't know how thick it was and how many there were. That was one of the things I was going to ask Joe about but forgot cause I was writing that message at 2:30am.

I don't have your drawing in front of me, it is at work. If I remember correctly the parts that were missing was the motor supports, the router holder rear plate (the one with all of the round recessed holes) and a couple of other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. You may have done this on purpose but they were not in the drawing.

I am not knocking you for what you did. You were did a better job of laying out things than I was doing. Like anything it is always better to have more than one person look at a job.

I was missing the two vertical blocks behind the motor clamps, but I am not missing any vertical router clamp holders. They are in the 3/4" mdf sheet. I double checked the sketchup drawings to make sure and I am not missing anything else. If there are changes or stuff that got left out of the sketchup drawings then there might be. I will make the corrections to the bearing blocks. I couldn't tell if they were painted wood or hdpe. I only had a couple of pics of the finished product so I was having to work off of that for the stuff I wasn't sure about.

Just to clarify on the sheet materials needed MDF - (1) 1/4" sheet, (2) 1/2" sheets, (half) 3/4" sheet HDPE- (1'x2') 1/2 thick" sheet, (9"x12") 3/4" thick sheet.

Also I was reading that his table was ready to be converted into a vacuum hold down table. I removed the holes from the outside of the table so it is ready. I am going to post something in the main r-2 with the question. I have fixed the drawing. Ohh on the dimensioning thing. It should be done in the main individule cad files but should do top, bottom, and side views of the parts with a border, part #s, and how many of that part there are. I just don't have time for it right now. I will repost the corrected drawings and pdfs.

This post http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1527 has a pic of 2 sets of the 3/4" hdpe parts laid out (and cut) on what appears to be a 24" x 48" sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by butterRPG View Post
    Joe,

I got the PDF ready for posting. There is your Manual, Parts List, Layout Sheets (2), an all of the wood pcs. with dimensions. This is all in one file and it's 1.56 MB. Will your Yahoo e-mail account handle the size. I also have it in AutoCad. Did not finish any of the plastic dimensioning yet. Let me know, I'll try to e-mail it right now to see if it goes.

sorry i just got back into town, yes yahoo will handle that easy.

Thanks, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram View Post
    This post http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1527 has a pic of 2 sets of the 3/4" hdpe parts laid out (and cut) on what appears to be a 24" x 48" sheet.
    Looks nice if you have extra material and no other use for it. To lay out few pcs takes like 30 seconds, blindfolded. If I owned a plastic supply joint, the whole thing would be HDPE.

[/QUOTE]Also I was reading that his table was ready to be converted into a vacuum hold down table. I removed the holes from the outside of the table so it is ready. I am going to post something in the main r-2 with the question. I have fixed the drawing. Ohh on the dimensioning thing. It should be done in the main individule cad files but should do top, bottom, and side views of the parts with a border, part #s, and how many of that part there are. I just don't have time for it right now. I will repost the corrected drawings and pdfs.[/QUOTE]

I have designed a few plate glass fabrication tables but a router table is a different animal. The only way it can be done is with a movable/adjustable suction cups that can be positioned away from the cutting blade. The cups can be made from 1/4" wall tubing material, caped on one end with an air outlet on the side, and a simple soft gasket for the side that is in contact with the material being cut. These can be mounted to a t-rail and it would takes a low power vacuum to hold the panel down

Also I was reading that his table was ready to be converted into a vacuum hold down table. I removed the holes from the outside of the table so it is ready. I am going to post something in the main r-2 with the question. I have fixed the drawing. Ohh on the dimensioning thing. It should be done in the main individule cad files but should do top, bottom, and side views of the parts with a border, part #s, and how many of that part there are. I just don't have time for it right now. I will repost the corrected drawings and pdfs.

I have designed a few plate glass fabrication tables but a router table is a different animal. The only way it can be done is with a movable/adjustable suction cups that can be positioned away from the cutting blade. The cups can be made from 1/4" wall tubing material, caped on one end with an air outlet on the side, and a simple soft gasket for the side that is in contact with the material being cut. These can be mounted to a t-rail and it would takes a low power vacuum to hold the panel down

Hmmm that kinda sucks. I was reading a post here in joes section where people have converted their tables to air. You have to have a resivor and a good sized air tank. The other thing is you have to cover all of the other holes that are open. I am going to have my my parts cut on a huge 5 axis machine that works that way. What he said that he will be doing to cut my parts out is he is going to onion skin my parts. So he will leave .03 on the bottom of my parts so it doesn't break the seal. The parts will have an onion skin thickness left on them that you can just brush off with your hand.

Would you like to work together on making the 3 dimensional parts? I can work on it during my lunch hour every day. I don't have time to work on it at home. I have 7 website to build and I am still recovering from a hard drive crash so I am 3 weeks behind.

For a vacuum table, i would go with something acrylic similar to what is in the aussie thread, and just use the gasket material to markoff the areas you will be cutting, or use vacuum pods, placed where you want them. If you do use the Bed torsion box, that would be easy to adapt, make plates for the sides to cover the holes, drill holes in the top and use cardboard or poster paper to cover holes of areas not used when cutting

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    For a vacuum table, i would go with something acrylic similar to what is in the aussie thread, and just use the gasket material to markoff the areas you will be cutting, or use vacuum pods, placed where you want them. If you do use the Bed torsion box, that would be easy to adapt, make plates for the sides to cover the holes, drill holes in the top and use cardboard or poster paper to cover holes of areas not used when cutting

Joe
    That is what I was thinking. If you look at the layout drawing I made, I just removed the holes on two of the long braces. With the holes made on the inner end plate and not on the outside end plate it will make a perfect place to drill a hole for a vacuum port. Then just drill holes in the top sheet.

How big should the holes be?

How far apart should they be?

Should I move up to 1/2" for the top?
    Worried about dipping around the holes, 1/4" is pretty thin when you are talking about adding tons of holes.

Hey Joe where do you buy hdpe from?
    I am having a hard time finding 3/4" for a reasonable price. I can get 1/2" 12x20 for $17 but no luck with 3/4". They want $50 for the same size.

I had several questions for you in my post above. Mostly about the vacuum parts. What are their depths(how thick) and how deep are the recessed areas?

What parts have to be hdpe?

Quote Originally Posted by butterRPG View Post
    Looks nice if you have extra material and no other use for it. To lay out few pcs takes like 30 seconds, blindfolded. If I owned a plastic supply joint, the whole thing would be HDPE.
    :wave: It appears you missed the point of the post.

I was merely trying to indicate which parts are 3/4 hdpe and the fact they will fit on a 24x24 sheet

No I did not miss your point. Everything was perfectly clear.

Thank you, the pictures were outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by DistortedDesign View Post
    That is what I was thinking. If you look at the layout drawing I made, I just removed the holes on two of the long braces. With the holes made on the inner end plate and not on the outside end plate it will make a perfect place to drill a hole for a vacuum port. Then just drill holes in the top sheet.

How big should the holes be?

How far apart should they be?

Should I move up to 1/2" for the top?
    Worried about dipping around the holes, 1/4" is pretty thin when you are talking about adding tons of holes.

Hey Joe where do you buy hdpe from?
    I am having a hard time finding 3/4" for a reasonable price. I can get 1/2" 12x20 for $17 but no luck with 3/4". They want $50 for the same size.

I had several questions for you in my post above. Mostly about the vacuum parts. What are their depths(how thick) and how deep are the recessed areas?

What parts have to be hdpe?

I would make the holes 3/8 or so, maybe 1" grid. also look at the aussie thread he did a good tabble attachment. which would work well i think.

I get the HDPE local from platic distribitor.

Page 1 of 4 123