586,094 active members*
4,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sherline CNC package.

I am completely new to CNC from a software side of things. I have worked in a factory setting, loading, cleaning and punching in jobs on a couple of FADAL's.
    I want to learn CNC. I am about to purchase the Sherline Lathe and CNC package from Sherline which is Lenox and EMC. I have noticed there are other companies selling the Sherline with different CNC packages and have been told there are better programs for the lathe than EMC.
    Is anyone using the EMC Lenox Package?
    Has anyone started with no CNC or computer knowledge for that matter with one of the Sherline packages?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fleck View Post
    I am completely new to CNC from a software side of things. I have worked in a factory setting, loading, cleaning and punching in jobs on a couple of FADAL's.
    I want to learn CNC. I am about to purchase the Sherline Lathe and CNC package from Sherline which is Lenox and EMC. I have noticed there are other companies selling the Sherline with different CNC packages and have been told there are better programs for the lathe than EMC.
    Has anyone started with no CNC or computer knowledge for that matter with one of the Sherline packages?
    Thanks
    Fleck, I have the Sherline CNC on my mill. I tried to get the linix to load on my linix machine but was never able to get it to load. I finally went with Mach3 and really like it. Many are using EMC from Sherline and getting very good results. Mach3 is based on EMC, which is public domain, and has many features that EMC doesn't, and too it is well supported. Mach 3 runs under Windows XP and to some that means easier to get support. Whatever machine and operating system you need to make sure it has a parallel port to interface to the driver box. If you go all Sherline this is a moot point.
    Boils down to what you are used to and the learning curve you are willing to tackle.
    I haven't converted my lathe yet, I think I'll do my short bed first and start to learn the lathe CNC ropes.

GeneK

Quote Originally Posted by Fleck View Post
    Thanks
    Fleck,

EMC2 has a lot of new features that I don't believe are in EMC that comes with the Sherline linux package. Check out EMC2 at Linuxcnc.org. You can download the Live CD and test it with out having to do the linux install. I am using EMC2 on a CNC router and also on a lathe the I am still working on.

You might also ask your question in the emc forum here on the zone.

Alan

Re: Sherline CNC package.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneK View Post
    Fleck, I have the Sherline CNC on my mill. I tried to get the linix to load on my linix machine but was never able to get it to load. I finally went with Mach3 and really like it. Many are using EMC from Sherline and getting very good results. Mach3 is based on EMC, which is public domain, and has many features that EMC doesn't, and too it is well supported. Mach 3 runs under Windows XP and to some that means easier to get support. Whatever machine and operating system you need to make sure it has a parallel port to interface to the driver box. If you go all Sherline this is a moot point.
    Boils down to what you are used to and the learning curve you are willing to tackle.
    I haven't converted my lathe yet, I think I'll do my short bed first and start to learn the lathe CNC ropes.

GeneK
    Hello Genek would you be able to post your settings you have in mach 3 for your sherline I have a lathe im trying to set up in mach 3 and I hear sherline has no settings documentation for Mach 3.

Thanks buddy
    L.S. Tool & Precision Inc.
    Taking machining to the
    next level, combining creativity, ingenuity and the technology of CAD/CAM & CNC Machining
    “When ingenuity makes all the difference”
    http://hometown.aol.com/lstool1/myhomepage/business.html