586,075 active members*
3,803 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Confused about maximum voltage for hobbycnc.com steppers/driverboard

Confused about maximum voltage for hobbycnc.com steppers/driverboard

First of all, hi, first post. I hope to contribute to this community at some point. I have over 20 years of cnc programming experience on virtually every type and brand of machine you can think of, save a few obscure controls. But in all that time I have never built a cnc machine or wired stepper motors like these. Im a bit confused about what I perceive as contradictory information about maximum and recommended voltages. Below is the quick run down of where Im at with this project--

I recently purchased the 3 axis pro driver board combo with 305oz steppers from hobbycnc.com for use on my Little Machine Shop 7x12 lathe. Everything I've read in the driver board docs and what I read when ordering says that 36V 10amp power supply is best for this package, so thats what I bought. What confuses me is in the wiring diagram on the stepper motor sheet labelled 'DC Power Wiring Circuit', there is a box that says "TRANSFORMER 30VAC MAX 24VAC RECOMMENDED 10AMP". No part of that says 36 volts is okay. Am I missing something? Any clarification would be great. I just want to make absolutely sure before I ruin my driver board or motors.

Thanks for reading!

After posting this similar threads were recommended and it seems this is a common point of confusion. I did try to search for similar threads but my wording wasnt very effective. I just need to find all the docs I can find on this and read until my eyes bleed.

Id still love any personal explanation, but understand if you guys feel this has been addressed plenty of times already.

If I remember correctly, hobcnc uses a chip rated at 50v. My rule of the thumb is to keep the power supply about 15v below the max. So around 36 is good.

Ignore the stuff about 24vac or 30vac. It's not really relevant.

Thanks, H500.