586,096 active members*
3,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

delta dynapath 20 is giving me fits

I am learning to program a 1991 vintage monarch vmc 45 with a delta dynapath 20 control. I am having trouble with arcs. I have tried the conversational programing and the g-code type with limited success. I have found that I need to put the work offset, e1, on almost every line. I keep getting an error- end points not on same radius, or something like that. I KNOW that my numbers are right! At one point, in desperation, I changed my end points and I J values to 2.00 and then re-entered the previous numbers exactly as they were before, and it worked!
    I double and triple checked for sign and decimal point errors, and accidental number transpositions.
    I am completely baffled.

Try leaving the end point blank (0)... I'm thinking it will calculate that for you.
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

on the old delta 20 that i had,it didnt like any arcs programed past 90 degrees
    meaning you have to have points every 90 degrees or i got an error,maybe it that,im not sure.i never figured out why it was like that,i just programed what worked

Thanks for the suggestions. The control does have a calculation assist feature.I can't get it to work right. It will fill in some numbers, but not the ones that I want.
    I tried to program one quadrant at a time, but that did not seem to help.
    I think that the problem has to do with the way that I am applying cutter compensation. The manual says that the line preceding the line with G41(comp on) needs to have a G40(comp off). I tried it that way today,and it seemed to work.
    The boss told me that the control has some quirks. This must be one of them. The machine has been idle for some time. No one who works here knows how to run it, so I am on my own.