586,069 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > VMC15 spindle speed problem - commands

VMC15 spindle speed problem - commands

I want to purchase a VMC15 that has a problem with something.... it may even be just user error.

The person selling the machine does not know anything about a cnc mill, and I can say, I dont any thing about a Fadal to a certain point.

Here is the problem as I am told....

The machine powers on just fine. Does all jog functions fine. When you power up the spindle, and attempt to go past 1200 RPM, the spindle will shut down.

Now this being a VMC15, I was told today that the 1993 model needed a specific command to get past 1250. Something like S1=1200, but to get to above this 1250, you had to enter S2=2500.... Some machines use this if there is a slave cutter I think, but I do not know the commands for a fadal and maybe this is right.

OR>... my thought is the spindle drive is just bad when it gets to 1250 vs being able to run at 1200 with no problem..

OR> ... I was also told that there is a parameter that can be set to ensure the machine was not run past 1200 if that is the spindle speed needed for that job.

thanks........

>L

someone more familier will add to this.
    The command to force a range shift S.1 or S.2 you should hear an air valve cycle and a cylinder operate.
    It possibly could be out of oil in the change mech. bad sensor, bad cylinder, bad valve..................

To force speed range along with RPM would be like S2400.2
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

This machine may not have the auto high/low shifters. It may have the older six belt system. This would require a manual change of the belts on the pulleys for high or low range.
    The software assumes high range if the RPM is 2501 or higher and assumes low range if the RPM is 2500 or lower. You can use the Sxxxx.1 to force low range and Sxxxx.2 to force high range.

Neal

ok... i will update my adventure to this machine...

I purchased the machine. Drove 28 hours round trip.. purchased it on a cell phone sound only that the spindle did come on.. there was no power on the machine when I arrived, and it was late.. so, I had to wing it that it was going to be ok....

Well, tonight was finally the power on.. The spindle did only allow M3S1250 and no more... the error number is 10, and a CS had to be done to get a reset..

Well, the parameters showed it to be in Format 2. So, I moved it to format 1, and proceeded to the other parameters... the parmeters were way off.. the axis was set to some lower number than what it was suppose to be, the spindle was set to 3750 something, the RPM factor was 1, the orientation was 1...

I proceeded to use the parameters in the pendant door... that showed to be wrong also. it indicated that the spindle RPM was 10000 hi/low, the RPM factor was 5, the orientation was 15...

The spindle could sure to get to 7500 almost with those parameters, but it also was not going below 4750... at least I know the drive was working at this point...

so I changed the spindle RPM to 7500 wye/Delta, the RPM factor to 5, the orientation to 5... This works a little... I can tell the ATC command is not working right, and the RPM still will not go past 2500 now, but if I crank the 200%, I get to 4750.... at least it works a little now.

Neal has been helping on this already.. thanks so much for that...

How do you get that version number on the software? Mine just reads 1993 fadal in little letters.. I dont get the nice big FADAL on the screen like I have seen on the 96 and newer machines.

>L

You get the numbers off the driver boards.
    I don't know off hand, but I am sure we have discussed it here in the last year - year 1/2
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    You get the numbers off the driver boards.
    I don't know off hand, but I am sure we have discussed it here in the last year - year 1/2

Yes. I had found that 2006 thread late last night. I have 1400-4 board..

Loyde

Here's another update for those that are curious...

The 1993 VMC15 is indeed a MANUAL Hi/Low change.. as in by hand. As in you have to remove the cover and losen 2 bolts on the motor, and move the belt to the 2nd set of pulleys. Lets see, this machine came out way after automatic changing hi/low...what were they thinking?

Well turns out the belt is on the low setting.. however, I can tell you that I can run my command to M3S2500 and it runs 2500 according to the baldor drive RPM at the rear. I can then crank the spindle percent to 200 and it shows ... humm.. I forgot.. maybe it was 3750..

Now with the belt in this low pulley setting... Last night was the parameter hunting in the machine... anyone remember reading below that I put the settings in the machine that was posted on the pendant panel door... well, that was saying it was a 10k spindle, and the factor was 5... that same M3S2500 put the spindle starting at something like 4700RPM and cranking to 200% put the baldor drive reading 7450RPM... and this is the belt in the low setting. Good thing I only left it there about 15 seconds. Spindle sounded really good at this speed.

If anyone has PDF's on the VMC15 specificly, I would like them. I have already downloaded the ones from FadalCNC.com .. there are not many there on the VMC15... Then my 1993 1400-4 software is really different from my friends 1996 3016L machine. He has many menu's I do not have..

>L

VMC-15 Spindle Issues

I purchased a 1995 VMC-15XT about two months ago. It has the same spindle arrangement as yours. I also have the 1400-4 drive board with rigid tapping. The previous owner is to send me an operators manual but no parts manual. Mine has a bad bearing in the spindle so I'm removing this weekend to send out for a rebuild. I have run the machine and it does have the machine set up sheet inside the control. I generally program and run in Format 2. I used to own a 1997 VMC-15 with the newer 1400-5 boards and software. If I can answer any questions you can contact me by emal at [email protected] or call 970-209-5626. Larry Donaldson