586,106 active members*
2,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

z axis crash need help

today i went thru normal start up procedures on the TMP-1 mill turn on power,cycle door,press restart button and WHAM z axis goes straight up and crashed the way cover into the toolchanger arm.

cant get ti to move,everytime i try to reset the machine it seems as though the z axis wants to go up instead of down and sounds alarm,locks up.

anyone have any suggestions on how to lower the z axis manually?

thanks for all your help,seems as though my problems always happen late at night or on a friday. go figure.

apparently there is a sensor located at the top of the z axis,one of the two bolts that holds it on is loose very loose and the other is laying on top of the ballscrew cover,the sensor is flopping around in the breeze.

Do a power on. DO NOT TOUCH RESET. Go into Settings and find JOG WITHOUT ZERO RETURN; turn this ON. Now you can jog before doing Auto Restart.

Go to HANDLE JOG also CURRENT COMMANDS so you can see the servo loads.

Now move the Z axis carefully and watch the Z servo load. If you start running into something you will get plenty of warning from the increasing servo load.

I was going to say you need to check the proximity detectors but you already know that. Remount your proximity detector and you should be good.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof,thank you for your reply.

the way covers are damaged and the bolt is laying there on the ballscrew cover for the sensor,the other one is very loose,do you think i should leave everything where its at and call Haas first thing monday and file a warranty claim?

If your machine is still under warranty...STOP....don't touch anything!!!!

Call your dealer.

Good enough answer????

yeah thats what i thought dont touch nothing and take lots a photos.

thanks Geof you have been a valuable help.

Quote Originally Posted by timmydabull View Post
    yeah thats what i thought dont touch nothing and take lots a photos.

thanks Geof you have been a valuable help.
    Proof that there is at least one sensible person on this site. At least according to the rules of formal logic. And if you want more information you have to ask for it.

Haas fixed the machine,it was covered under warranty,great service and support.

very happy
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX