586,115 active members*
3,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Harbor Freight 9 x 20 Lathe

Someone once said that most of the mini lathes sold by the various distributors are very nearly the same except for accessories and price.
    One of the two lathes I was considering has increased in price which
    has helped me decide which of the two is the way to go.

Does anyone out there own one of the HF 9 x 20 machines if so can they offer any comments or suggestions. Also is there a four jaw six or seven inch independent chuck available for the HF 9 x 20 lathe.

Thanks

John

i have an enco 9x20 basically the same machine just a different color. here is a list of mods done that pretty much aren't documented anywhere and these make this a very capable machine.

1. tighten spindle bearings. the head should be warm to the touch when running at high speed.
    2. tighten gib on cross slide.
    3. replace weak compound mounting plate with 4 bolt.
    4. change the screw in the cross slide to english units. (7/16x20) be careful with the kit currently on the market, i bought one and had to redo the nut as it was really sloppy.
    5. larger hand wheel for cross slide. this allows you to tighten the gib and minimize deflection.
    6. DRO
    7. quick change tool post, not mandatory but a nice to have.
    8. tumbler reverse. allows you to cut away from the chuck. nice feature for boring and turning left hand screws.

other than that i have rebuilt my lathe a few times and made it better each time. make sure all the cast grit is out and everything is oiled well. one last thing i didn't mention is that i bolted my lathe to a 3/8 thick steel U channel 6" wide by 24" long. this really stiffens up the casting.

Thank You for your reply

John

I have had a Jet 9" x 20" lathe for about 15 years and it still functions fine. I think all three are the same basic design, but in an article I read in Home Shop Machinist, and also when researching the purchase, they advised that various Chinese companies each made this design to different quality levels. We ended up getting the supposed best quality one for about $300 more than the least expensive one advertised. In hindsight, I'm glad I did 15 years later with no problems.

John,

I do not have one, but here are some websites I've come across over the years.

Hope you find them helpful,

http://www.stellar-international.com/lathesf6.html (HarborFreight 9x20)
    http://www.bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20project.html
    http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...sions_9x20.htm

-

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by jroma1 View Post
    Someone once said that most of the mini lathes sold by the various distributors are very nearly the same except for accessories and price.
    One of the two lathes I was considering has increased in price which
    has helped me decide which of the two is the way to go.

Does anyone out there own one of the HF 9 x 20 machines if so can they offer any comments or suggestions. Also is there a four jaw six or seven inch independent chuck available for the HF 9 x 20 lathe.

Thanks

John
    John,

I have added a 3" 4-jaw, a 5" 3-jaw, and a 5" 4-jaw to my 9x20. On my website I show the process for fitting the 5" 3-jaw, but it is basically the same process for any chuck. The LittleMachineShop (LMS) sells a variety of chucks and backplates that you can use. Do to the small drive belt on the 9x20, most people do not recommend going larger than 5" although a few people have gone to 6". I think if you really need a larger than 6" chuck, you need a larger lathe.

Alan

I have just purchased a 6" 4 jaw for my HF 9x20 and purchased the backing plate from Wholesale Tool Co. If you get a 6" chuck don't order the 6" plate from WTC as although they call it 6" it is less than 6 inches and the bolt pattern will be too close to the edge - IMO.

I got the 6" 4 jaw from e-Bay seller JTS Machinery And Supply Co, I believe it was about $35 plus shipping.