586,121 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Servos & Actuators

here in Australia we can't buy router such as the alum base Porter cable etc only the plunge type. Question, can you use a servo motor for a router spindle, geared up or so?...

On a Z axis system do you need 4 bearings (2 per rail) or can 1 bearing per rail be used.

Thanks

Frans

For a large z-axis, which I believe yours is, two bearings will give far greater stability. With 1 bearing you may get some twisting/racking of the axis.
    As for the router, do what I did and import from the USA. I got mine from here:
    www.coastaltool.com
    Great service, and speedy delivery!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Router

Thanks Kong.

The US routers have different Volt ratings.. we run 240 volt otherwise I would purchase one from the US.

I am just looking at alternatives to using a router purely because of the noise issue.

Running a router for a full day would annoy the neighbours.

cheers

Fair enough, but I should point out that a simple 110v construction-site transformer will do the job if you ever need a router. We also have 240v in the UK!
    You could always build some sort of shroud/enclosure around your z axis. I think your problem has been dicussed before, albeit some time ago, and there was no easy solution. Let us know what you come up with though
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Kong.

The shroud idea has some merit.. Enclose it with some soundprofing material. I'll look inot that further down the track when I've completed the machine.

cheers