586,036 active members*
3,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motiontek in Canada

Has anyone had any experience with the Motiontek CNC router?
    I am in the market for a medium size machine. I was planning to build a machine but if the price is right, and the performance and quality is there it would make sense to purchase a turn key system.
    Have a look at their site
    www.motiontek.ca

Motion Tek (Canada) CNC Routers

Igor,

I've been wondering about them as well. There is some second-hand info I've seen that suggests these machines are Chinese imports so verification of quality, specs and longer-term parts availability and support would be a lot more important, "IF" that's the case. I've had significantly "better than eBay" response from them both times I sent questions.

Hopefully some others will chip in with some info on this.

Gerry in Belleville, ON

I had a chat with them yesterday and they did say the machines are Chinese but they do test run them to make sure everything works as it is supposed to. They were very open, and knowledgable.So far they have not sold any routers, just a couple of engravers. Price for their small machine was around 7000 including high speed spindle. I asked about the spindle, and for their 2.2hp they want around $800. Not a bad price for a high speed spindle, but will have to see it first hand.

Hi Igor,

Is that the same one as the bundle they are advertising on eBay with an included pkg. and an opening bid of $5995?

Should have added: Item number: 160197222380

That is amazing........too funny. It even includes spindle and computer. But from what they said they do not have any units here...so there may be a long wait for delivery.

In fairness to them, that is their opening bid price - one that often increases in the auctions but, nonetheless it may not either - always the risk but it's a cheap way to get broad based advertising so a good risk. It would be interesting to see if they have a container coming in soon and if it would be possible to physically see one in operation. They are good solid looking machines in the pictures but I'm of the seeing is believing school. :-)

Had a look at their e-bay history and all other sales have been at the opening bid. I will try to see one of the units tomorrow...hopefully it is up and running.

what ever the bid is on ebay then thats what you can walk in and offer for it , if they dont like the offer then head for the door , you will make it 5 steps and they will fold.
    the ebay price is what they want anything bid more is only more gravy

they'll want to get their name and product out there and will be willing to deal to do so
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Motion Tek (Canada) CNC Routers

Hi Egor,

Any luck seeing one in the flesh, or better, working?

Had a nice little chat with one owner and will see to on the weekend. Will keep you updated.

I saw the machine on Sunday. The owners of the machine were very helpful and well informed. It was a real pleasurable 2 hours I spent with them. They had a setup ready to run for me, sample to show, and lots of ideas to talk about.
    The Motiontek router/engraver is very nice for the money. Solid cast iron base, linear bearings on all ways and ball screws throughout. The spindle ran smooth and quiet. One element that may be a long term concern is the ball screw mounting on the z axis. It looked like the screw was supported by the motor alone. I could not feel or see any play in this area, so I my concerns may be unfounded. One other element is the size of the stepper motors. They look quite small for the size of the machine, I think around 300in/lb hold rating. I was told that the max cutter they have used is 1/4" with a cutting depth of 1/4" and it had no issues in birch plywood.
    Here are some pictures of the router/engraver and a sample cut.
    This machine had the pendent control which looked to function very well. It was pointed out to me that there are a couple drawbacks for my application is the inability to change tools or alter cutting or rapid speeds in the program. If tool changes were needed a separate tool path would have to be generated. The PC and Mach 3 configuration of the system would take care of these issues.
    Overall I was very impressed.
    Thanks for your time Dieter or Ryan, we will be in touch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010107small.JPG   P1010109small.JPG   P1010110small.jpg