586,075 active members*
3,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF3 startup info for newbie

I'm starting up a yr 2000 VF3 that has been out of service for about 4 years and have a few questions. Briefly, I can't figure out how to add transmission oil, what is the overflow bucket and nylon drain tube near the way oil pump and I think there may me some filter missing from the coolant pumping system.

I went through the pm section of the manual and it sayes to change the transmission oil each year, but I can not find a place to add or drain the oil. I read another post with the same question and he found out his machine did not have a gearbox. I suspect mine might be the same way. One the top spindle cover there is a hole labeled: transmission oil fill: mobil dte25, but there is no obvious spot to add oil. You would think there would be a tube with a cap, but there is none. I checked the label in the cabinet and spindle motor is circled, but gearbox is not. Its a 30-5700B spindle motor if I make out the hand writing correctly and a 40 spindle taper.

Is the over flow bottle out back by the way lube pump for excess way lube collecting in the bottom of the casting? What is the .5 od nylon tube for that comes off the alum block feeding this bottle and where should it go? I think it is to drain coolant off from that way oil puddle in the casting and should go over to the coolant tank, but I thought I should ask.

Finally, the coolant tank has 4 ~4" holes in the top of it, and a single pump bolted in place with a y fitting coming off it, whith a ball valve in the output legs of the y. There is a single hose with a matching garden hose fitting that obviuosly hooks up to the y. Are all these other holes and fittings for options that I do not have or am I missing something important?

Thanks,

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oil fill close pm 004.jpg   oil fill wide pm 005.jpg   way lube waste pm 008.jpg   coolant tank pm 010.jpg  

It looks like your machine does not have a gearbox. So no oil will be need.

The thing on the back separates the waylube from the coolant and allows th coolant to run back into the tank. The waste oil (waylube) runs into the little cool aid bucket.

The extra holes in the tank are for TSC (through the tool coolant), and an oil skimmer (that you do not have).

Loose is correct

When you get the power on you should be able to find a program called Run In, it should be program O02021. This should be run before operating the machine; the purpose of this program is to purge all the accumulated oil out of the bottom spindle bearing because too much oil can cause overheating.

Look at post #23 in this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=41130&page=2

Also read some of the other posts in that thread. For your Run In you need to adjust the pressure on the gauge I show in the pictures and when the program is running periodically check that the spindle is not getting hot. If it does get hot start the program over.

Also you should check the oil lube pump operation; operate (pull I think) the manual plunger on the lube tank and you should see the pressure go up to 30 psi or so. Then it should drop to zero within 30 minutes but not quicker than 10 minutes. If it is longer than 30 minutes there may be blockages in some of the oil lines if it is shorter than 10 there nay be leaks.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks for the quick and useful response to my questions. It turns out I do not have the transmission, so I wish I had ask you for help sooner so I would not have wasted an hour removing covers looking for it.

Thanks again,

Doug