586,103 active members*
3,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Using Anviloy for cores

Question Using Anviloy for cores

Not sure where to post so will start here. I am making permenant molds for aluminum.
    I have had a lot of mold requests that have nasty isolated heavy sections that will require fast cooling . I have been using water cooling in P20 tool steel with good success but always on the bottom of the mold so leaks cannot get into the casting. I have heard of this Anviloy product as being a good heat trandfer product but want to know if it is good for cores and if it can be cooled with a copper cooling jacket on the backside of it. Will this give me a good thermal transfer? Has anyone here used it and what was their success? When using solidification software what would the thermal transfer be so I could use it?
    Any help available?

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough

Well,

Anviloy will certainly stand up to the temperatures of aluminum. It might not even require a copper heatsink to dispel heat.
    My worry though, is this, aluminum tends to shrink. If your core is ever in a position that's surrounded by aluminum, with gravity working against it, the core could become frozen or stuck in the casting. My steel core certainly did.
    I too am building a steel die. Mine is for gravity casting. I'm going to attempt to mix a sand core with a steel die. I'll update this thread after a test. Hopefully within the week.

For more information on sand cores, search within this forum.

I have made core pins for alum. molds out of anviloy. The customer wanted to try it, to reduce tooling wear, not for heat transfer though. Not fun to machine, dont know how it compared to H-13 in the mold process.

We have made core pins and small cores out of anviloy in the past, but as mentioned earlier it was more for wear than anything. Anviloy is very pourous and breaks easily, I cannot believe it would transfer heat very well, at least not much better than say a hard H-13. Your best bet would be Moldmax or beryllium copper behind a toolsteel core to transfer heat away in my opinion.

Talking

In plastic injection mold tooling there are 2 types of moldmax a soft and a hard. They transfer heat very well. We also use thermal pins to transfer heat where it is hard to get sufficient water. The only thing you have to watch with moldmax is the thermal expansion. We had some core pins .625 x 14 inches long expand from ABS hitting them. They grew over .013 inches in a split second and hobbed into the cavitiy. We made them grow .009 with water at 150 degrees F. DME makes a thermal pin just for die casters. Hope this helps I am from the plastics side of the world.