586,103 active members*
3,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle wiring help needed

I have a Micron Spindle Motor that needs a controller

Model# 169.5.0117.0 11000R.P.M., 3-phase, 1.3 amp, 160W, 125V/400Hz

Will a Hitachi VFD Part#L200-004NFU work?

I also need the wiring diagram for the spindle.

Attached are pictures of the spindle and VFD.
    Thank you

Jeff Alessi
    [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L200.jpg   Mikron.jpg  

Don't know what your hp rating is on you spindle but I'd do something from automation direct..

I used http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc...trol)/GS2-23P0

Which is a 3 hp that can take single or 3 phase input.

for sure less expencive then the h

I am still trying to find out the wiring diagram for this spindle.

Thank you for the quick reply and help!

Jeff...

Well if it is a 3 phase spindle you connect the 3 output legs of the VFD to the 3 legs of the spindle + probably a ground. If the spindle spins the oposit way you want when started in the default VFD direction perhaps the VFD has a parameter in the setup to switch the power up direction. Or else for 3 phase the direction can be changed by swaping any 2 of the 3 poles with eachother.

Guessing you will be feeding it single phase input. So the 2 hots would go to the input terminal 1 and 2. Actually the inputs could be plugged to 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 if you wanted if it's single phase input capiable since the input is simply converting to DC anyway with diods.

Check the manual out at automation direct of the model I got. It has an example wire diagram which includes signal conditioners and reactors which are recomended to clean the power up as well.

b.

B,

My spindle motor has alot more that three terminals on it and I dont have any information-documentation to determine what connections are the motor phases etc...

I have a pretty good understanding of basic electronics however I dont know anything about the internal wiring of the spindle.

I am going to take the cover off the wiring block to try and figure out what they attach to.

I am guessing there is some sort of encoder and maybe even a heat sensor etc...

Thank you again for the help.

By the way what is your first name?

Jeff...

[email protected]

The other terminals probably are thermistors, ground, encoder are all good guesses.

No markings? power inputs, L's are uasually inputs and T's are outputs (would of course not have outputs on a motor)

Sure a few searches on the web would not yeald some info? Checking with the company? Not much came up in the few googles I did..

Checking the resistance across 2 of the terminals then heating the spindle could prove which ones are thermistors.. but that would not be to fun to do.

incoders can have 4 inputs. 2 for power 1 for direction and 1 for pulse uasually I think.

Hard to tell..

first name = bill.

b./

b.

Bill,

After taking the cover off the wiring block on the spindle and discovered only six of the nine terminals actually have wires attached to them.

The ground is easy to identify due to the fact that it is connected to the case that leaves five wires.

Two of the five are brown and measure 238 ohms across them, my guess a thermistor.

The remaining three wires (black, red and white) must be the motor phases they measure 7.2 ohms between each of them no matter what position I connect the ohm meter.

Is there a way to determine the motor phases other than with a Phase Rotation Indicator?

Thanks you

Jeff Alessi
    [email protected]

One way to see if the 238 is a thermistor.. Put it in the oven for a few at maybe 150 deg or something. If the one changes then it's the one.

I think pins 1-3 of mine were phase 1,2and3 and 4 and 5 were the thermistor.

Don't know what you mean by which phase is which. Just connect the 3 phases up and if it is not spinning the correct direction then switch any 2 of the phases with eachother and it should reverse.

b.

Bill

Do you have a instant messenger?