586,103 active members*
2,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Tool Library and Roundover Toolpaths

Tool Library and Roundover Toolpaths

Hey group, is there a way to get an expanded tool library for VM? I'm trying to generate a toolpath for a small round over bit. However, there aren't any round over end mills in the library and I don't see a place to add odd shaped ones. If there isn't an expanded library available how would you go about generating a round over tool path with VM? I'm assuming it would be a little tricky because if the end mill specs for a round over bit aern't known the offsets and depths would be off. ?????

Mark

I'm not familiar with Visual Mill, but here's a way I've run roundover cutters that should work with any Cam program assuming you want to cut a full quarter round and not just use the tool to break the edge. Set the tool diameter to the core diameter of the roundover cutter, and set the depth of cut equal to the roundover radius, with the tool length based on the bottom of the cutter. The profiling path would then be based on tracing the previously cut profile without taking off any more material. Sometimes if there's not a straightforward way of doing things, you just have to trick the software and machine into doing what you want it to do.

metalmunchr - What a Geat Tip
    I'm wondering if there are some other neat tips and shortcuts other members (or you too) could volunter like that? Sorting out the software details is often hard enough - and a shortcut like yours really helps!
    Thanks Heaps - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Met, great idea, thanks a bunch.

OK
    Another tip would be for face milling with a cutter whos diameter is greater than the material size.
    I have found extremely simplistic toolpath by drawing a region right down the middle of the part with each end of the region extended past the stock slightly greater than the distance of half the cutter. Create your toolpath by using the engrave feature with the on edge function enabled. Tool wil just go back and forth plunging the set distance outside of each end of the part.
    Quite simple...very effective.