586,119 active members*
3,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Software work flow

I'm not sure how strict the admin are for asking software questions so if I am out of place posting this here please let me know.

I am trying to get a better understanding on the work flow from concept to reality with a DIY machine (probably any machine). It is my understanding that Mach3 will control the stepper motors and that I need to feed it G-Code. I will need software to convert a drawing to G-Code. And, I will need a CAD program to design in from the start. So that is 3 pieces of software to get from concept to reality.

Are there no CAD programs that export G-Code or are dedicated CAD programs worth the extra step? I see a HUGE list of software in the software forums but which are actually geared to the hobbyist? I can't afford any $3000 programs.

Lastly I want to thank everyone who has helped me so far.

- D

Edit: I want to add I will be running Windows XP on a P3 2.8Ghz as the controlling computer and workstation for now. Upgrading the workstation to a quad core later (already have the chip).

Look into Vcarve for software.

In my opinion it is the best software. Cad based in that it can open cad and draw things like cad but with out the learning curve issues with learning to use cad.

More like 2.5D rather then full 3 D.

Can out put G code to anything you would need (including MACH).. I send code direct from it to both my mach mill and cnc router mill and my mid 80's bridgeport.

and can't stress enough how great a value the program is. I have access to other packages and it is the one I use more so then ANY others...

Ger might chime in with some suggestions..

Back when I purchased it I got the bundle (vcarve, photo carve and 3d cut) how ever I will admit I have only had time to use 3d cut a couple of times and have not done anything with photo vcarve.

But even at 600 for vcarve for what you get it's a bargan. Download the demo softare to get an idea what it can do..

This years additions to the sofware have been some major improvements as well..

Also I'd recomend making the controlling computer dedicated. By that I mean keep the P3 as it's more then powerfull enough. Load a base of XP or what ever and keep it isolated from the world (ie no network or anything if you can)... My cnc machine is on it's own island. Only thing it gets fed is updates to mach, vcarve and files through it's USB thumb drive..hehe

b.

VCarve is the best... highly recommend the bundle mentioned above...but the $600 bucks was tough to part with. Use the Demo and if you like it enough go for it. You can get free 2D CAD packages out there and spring $50 for sheetcam to get you going. Mach3 is a requirement and you will need $160 for that... although this site is offering it for $139.

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/inde...ce33128ca74cd6

Guess the work flow with something like vcarve would be.

-Draw or import some one elses drawing

-select different types of cutting methods (inside line outside line, how deep to cut cut speeds and type of end mill or cutting tool)

-look at the graphic to see what the cut will look like

-save the paths to Gcode

-open in mach

-cut

b/

Also Mach does have some good wizards built in but I deem them more for conversational milling (ie milling at the mill) type things but they are powerfull. I did purchase the newfangled wizards which was 50 bucks..

MACH also has built in something called LAZYCAM which I have to admit I have never used since i have vcarve there really isn't any point in using it. But it's suposed to be good acording to those who use it and not cost much for the licence..

b.

Workflow can vary quite a bit depending on the software your using and what you're doing, but for most work it's pretty straightforward. I'm not including any free packages in this list.

1) Depending on the part, you either create a 2D drawing or a 3D model in a CAD or drawing package. 2D drawings are typically exported (saved) as .dxf files, but if your CAM program supports them, sometimes other formats may work better. Most low cost 3D programs will read .stl files or similar. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that a lot of things can be done with a 2D drawing that you might think require 3D. In these cases it's usually much quicker and easier to do a 2D drawing than a 3D model.

2) Import your drawing or model into your CAM program. You asked what is geared to the hobbiest? Not a lot, but quite a few. For 2D CAM, SheetCAM is probably the most used package. Someone mentioned $50, but it's closer to $170. But it's a very good package, used by professionals as well as hobbiests.

3D CAM is a little complicated to explain. The inexpensive packages work a bit differently than the expensive ones. Since the expensive ones are out of reach, no need to go into detail here. Anyway, there are couple packages geared to the hobbiest. MeshCAM, Cut3D, Millwizard and STLWork.

Once in your CAM program, you generate toolpaths and export the g-code.

3) Load the g-code into Mach3, and start cutting.

Although it's higher priced than the others I mentioned, I'd also consider Vectric's V-Carve Pro to be geared toward the hobbiest. It brings a tremendous amount of power and ease of use to the hobbiest for a fraction of what it would have cost 5 years ago. It also contains drawing tools, and could be used by itself to go from design to machine.

There are a few other lowcost integrated packages. ContourCAM runs inside DesignCAD, so you can get g-code without leaving your CAD program. Both are about $100, so it'll cost you about $200. It looks good, but I don't see a lot of people using it.

TurboCAD also has a CAM plugin, but it's quite a bit more money at $300 for the plugin.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Forgot to add that typically, a separate CAD program will usually give you a lot more power in the design stage, and the extra step to export and bring into a CAM program is basically a 10 second step, and not really a big deal at all.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am very new at this so the learning curve is very important to me. I have Mach3 and Vcarve Pro. With these 2 I have so far been able to do just about anything I want. I also got Cut3D from the same people that built Vcarve. I can cut guitar parts (neck) with Cut3D. As Gerry said many parts can be done in 2D. A guitar body could be 2 D if it as simple as a telecaster style body. Just a shape and some pockets.
    Download the demo of Vcarve and try it. The drawing tools are enough to do many things that you would use a dedicated program for, and you only have to learn 1 tool. When you outgrow the capabilities of Vcarve's drawing tools you can add to your arsenal.

Wow, thanks guys for all the feedback. I took a moment to look at VCarve, I must say it can do some nice stuff. What is the trial period for these? It says I can make things under trial so I may want to wait until I have the CNC built before trying them so I can see them in action, etc. I will go through the list that Curt put up later tonight or tomorrow.

As for my computer setup mentioned earlier. I meant to seperate computers. Both P3 2.8 gig with one that will hopefully be upgraded in a few months to a higher end system.

an observant man!
    where did you pickup on the name Curt
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........