586,036 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Correct use of parallels

Folks,

I'm going to be working a lot with aluminum pieces ~3" x 3" x 0.5". Unfortunately, the edges are never going to be perfectly square (but pretty close). When I try and use these in my vice with parallels, I'm having trouble with the parallel staying in place. Here's a video of it -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3t3pfg-og8

is there a common solution short of squaring the edge? I'd like to keep it in a vice (versus fixturing).

Thanks!
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

What I have done is to install a softer set of steel jaws in my vise. Then I milled a shallow step in the top of them. This keeps my parts sitting up high and perfectly square and level with the table and the mill itself. I don't know if your vise has jaws or a place for them, but you could mill a step in the vise itself. Probably won't hurt anything.

Lee

You could also place some springs in between the two parallels that would put pressure on them and keep them in place.

That's caused because the part is not square, and thus does not sit on the parallel. If you google around for the process to properly square up a block and following, a quick rap with a dead blow mallet will seat the part very firmly on the parallels afterward. Excluding jaw lift of course, if your vice is prone to such things.

Your video shows you giving the work piece only a mild tap while the jaws are relatively slack, this is not going to get it. Your technique is wrong. As you tighten the jaws they may tend to lift slightly. You should use the rubber hammer in stages as you tighten, using progressively stronger blows. Check the parallels at each stage.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    Folks,

I'm going to be working a lot with aluminum pieces ~3" x 3" x 0.5". Unfortunately, the edges are never going to be perfectly square (but pretty close). When I try and use these in my vice with parallels, I'm having trouble with the parallel staying in place. Here's a video of it -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3t3pfg-og8

is there a common solution short of squaring the edge? I'd like to keep it in a vice (versus fixturing).

Thanks!