586,106 active members*
3,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCAM X Surface Contouring

MasterCAM X Surface Contouring

I have a 3D Model that i am trying to create toolpath for my first problem was trying to rough cut the blank without milling any of the holes after a few hours of racking my brain i finally figured out that to accomplish this you need to use check surfaces. Which brings me to my next dilema The toolpath cuts fine but it leaves the outside of the stock as if to profile cut i need this to remove the outside of the stock when it cuts the contour how can i accomplish this ??

Are you using a cont. bountry? if so, make your bountry bigger
    Rob Timby

I am not sure what you mean by this i am selecting the rough surface contour i then select the drive surfaces then my tool and surface params then roughning params then ok it creates a toolpath around the 3D surface and profile but does not remove the remaing stock outside the profile so what i have is basically alot of stock left around the perimeter of the part so i can't remove the part from my vise and flip the part over to complete Ops on the other side

Go in the advanced option and change it to use only solid faces. If this does not solve your problem then you will need ot create a boundary around the area you want to cut to in essence keep the tool inside of like a fence. If you have surface that can act like this fence then use them as check surfaces if not then make a chain that will keep the toolpath inside of it. If you use center for the option then all should be good if you use the edges of the surface you are trying to cut as the boundary.

Not quite sure what you are talking about could you please show a screen shot of what you explained it would probably clear things up for me alot easier thankyou for all of you help

Rod,
    put the part up this may help some of us guide you
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

I have attached the part as you can see the part is cut out but the stock that is left around is what i need to figure out how to get removed so i can flip the part in my jig so i can machine the other side this is what i haven't figured out how to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Part.jpg  

The easy way would be to use a 2d contour path to mill off the leftover stock.

Did you try surface rough pocket and put a boundry around what you want to cut. I like to put my boundries up above the part an example how I use boundries look here
    http://www.cad2cam.net/blend/blend.html
    steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Thank you everyone for your help. Steve that worked