586,121 active members*
3,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

I looked at the site for replacing the spindle bearings, but it does not sound like what I see in my CHNC.

I stripped off the masking tape today. Don't go cheap like I did and use regular masking tape, spring for the blue stuff. The tape was a pain to get off cleanly. After removing the tape, I installed the carriage. I might even be able to mount the lathe to the stand this weekend.

In the cross slide there are various studs and holes. I figured out what they all are but two. In the picture below, the one with the question mark looks like a broken stud. The other one is a stud that had an Allen head underneath and is accessed from the bottom gear bolt hole. Does anyone know what they are for?

When I was removing the center carriage ballnut housing, one of the alignment studs broke. These studs are threaded 10/32 so they can be removed by threading in a long 10/32 screw and pulling them out from above. Anyway, I broke one off. It broke slightly below the sruface. I tried drilling it out but it was hardened. I ended up tig welding a 10/32 screw to it and pulling it out. There was absolutely no damage to the housing from the operation as you can see in the picture below.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painted.jpg   What.jpg   Stud.jpg   Stud gone.jpg