586,062 active members*
4,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sherline Collet Nut

Hello,
    I have a small custom mill that uses a Sherline spindle that I purchased off of ebay (EXACTLY like the one in the picture). Unfortunately, it did not come with a collet nut or any collets. I thought it was an er-16, but I suppose not, seeing how the er-16 collet nuts that just showed up in the mail did not fit!
    me --> (chair) <-- my spindle
    Anyway, if someone who can definitively recognize this thing and suggest a source for collets and collet nuts, that would be great. I bought a couple new belts from Sherline directly, maybe I should have just ordered the rest while I had them on the phone. I don't live anywhere near a place that I can take it before buying something, so I need to research before buying more stuff I cannot use. The fact that it has no numbers on it does not help either.
    Also, I do have a MT-1 chuck that fits fine for it, and the center whole will pass a 3/8 diameter rod. The threads are 3/4".
    Thanks, Mike
    Expensive tools can be cheaper than professional therapy

OK, I did a little more homework-
    I think it is 3/4-16 thread and it should work with something like this:

from Here:
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2317&category=-1480411007

They say the collets fit in this arbor, the end of which looks like my spindle:

If someone could second that, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks, Mike

HEllo Mike,

My best guess is that you have a Sherline P/N 6520 headstock and spindle. If so, the spindle has a #1 Morse taper, which checks out since you said your chuck on a MT-1arbor fits the spindle. Ref: http://www.sherlineipd.com/spindles.htm Sherline' P/N 6522 headstock and spindle is made to accept ER-16 collets. Perhaps you could buy the ER-16 spindle to replace your current spindle.

Also, Sherline sells a P/N 3060 Milling Collet set that fits the MT-1 in your spindle. http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index....&Product_ID=65

You might give Sherline a call to see what suggestions they might have. (800) 541- 0735

Regards,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck-
    I will probably give Sherline a call. This is a resurrected custom project, and most of the time spent thus far was getting the axis slides & software set up. Now that I have everything else ready to let it rip, I cannot wait to find some proper tooling. Not having part numbers adds to the challenge, so advice from this forum is a great place to start.
    Thanks again for your reply.
    -Mike