587,006 active members*
3,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What's the best way to remove cosmoline from a new machine?

What's the best way to remove cosmoline from a new machine?

Any Asian mill buyers out there... What's the best way to remove Cosmoline (the packing grease the machine comes in) from my new mill? I've heard several methods, I'm still not sure which one is the best.

My favorite so far is a hand steam-cleaner. Cosmoline melts at ~120F, so it basically just drips off. Hands down the best method for the environment.

This supposedly get "most" of the stuff off, but it might leave a film. Afterwards, what solvent should I use to get the rest? The gun/rifle guys say to use mineral spirits, but won't that take off the paint?

Any quick replies are welcome... I'm going to start on this this afternoon if I have an answer by then

Neil

Varsol is suitable and probably the least harmful to you.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I used mineral spirits... I didn't notice any paint lost, but I concentrated my efforts on ways (unpainted areas).
    Walking is highly over-rated

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Varsol is suitable and probably the least harmful to you.
    Hmm, I had to Google that one, as I've never heard of it. If I'm reading right, it's an ExxonMobil trade-name for mineral spirits. Sounds about right, everyone I've talked to says to use mineral spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by tauntdesigns View Post
    I used mineral spirits... I didn't notice any paint lost, but I concentrated my efforts on ways (unpainted areas).
    Yea, I'm not sure where I heard that mineral spirits ate paint, but it doesn't seem to be true. I'm going to give it a shot on my X3 mill and see how it does.

I also picked up a hand-steamer that I'm going try. I'll post back here with the results.

Steam it.It melts at 130F.
    Stefan Vendin

I use kerosene.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

One other question... When I'm putting it back together, what kind of grease should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_J View Post
    Hmm, I had to Google that one, as I've never heard of it. If I'm reading right, it's an ExxonMobil trade-name for mineral spirits. Sounds about right, everyone I've talked to says to use mineral spirits.
    It is my understanding that Varsol is a formulation that minimizes the particular types of mineral spirits that can be harmful.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_J View Post
    One other question... When I'm putting it back together, what kind of grease should I use?
    None.

Oil the ways. Spray the rest of the unpainted portions of the machine with Boeshield T9 to keep it from rusting. My experience is that it works great, and several magazines (where Boeshield advertises) have confirmed that it is the best anti-rust coating in competitive tests/reviews.

http://www.boeshield.com/