586,108 active members*
3,354 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > All aluminum Router-Ballscrews, extrusions, linear slides

Smile All aluminum Router-Ballscrews, extrusions, linear slides

Well here is my build log.

Specs:

X-travel = 31 inches
    Y-travel = 18 inches
    Z-travel = 6 inches

The linear rails are the supported 20mm 55" rails from VXB bearings. I bought a set of three along with some extra bearings and cut them to the lengths I needed.

The aluminum extrusions are the 30 series from bosch rexroth. All aluminum plate is mic6 tool and jig plate. Every part has been machined on a mill to make sure everything was all nice and true.

Please excuse any mess and clutter in the pics as my "workshop" is the floor in a closet sized dorm room.

Well lets get started

Table Assembly

Heres the table assembly. I used a large "scrap" of MIC6 to as a surface plate to assemble things. A nice square also helped to get things nice and true.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails js57_IMG_1372.jpg   js57_IMG_1381.jpg   js57_IMG_1385.jpg   js57_IMG_1400.jpg  

Gantry Assembly

So far, everything has gone pretty nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails js57_IMG_1404.jpg   js57_IMG_1419.jpg   js57_IMG_1427.jpg   js57_IMG_1503.jpg  

For a lazy man you have made a pretty good looking start.

Keep the pics coming.

Greg

Ballscrews

Here are the ball screws. I had the machine the ends down to size. The fixed bearing end was machined to fit NSK Angular Contanct bearing blocks that I snatched from ebay.

The mounting flange is fixed to the ball nut with two screws. I would have used setscrews but my box of 100 mysteriously dissappeared. There are six or so curved spring washers between the two ballnuts. The ballnuts are then tightened together to achieve the preload and then the clamp is used to prevent the nuts from spinning loose, thus maintainining the preload.

For those who are currious. The roton ballscrews are pretty good although not quite as good as I hoped. When too heavily preloaded they don't spin as freely as I would like. Im not quite sure how much they are being preloaded and am not sure what exactly to expect, not to mention I can be alittle obssesive about small details sometimes. I will evaluate their performance when I actually run the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails js57_IMG_1504.jpg   js57_IMG_1506.jpg   js57_IMG_1523.jpg   js57_IMG_1529.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by LazyMan View Post
    Here are the ball screws. I had the machine the ends down to size.
    Where is the lathe? Under the bed?

Looks good man!

Talking

Where is the lathe? Under the bed?
    lol. For those who are wondering, I'm a university student and have "free" access to a machine shop. The machines are fairly nice but I generally use my own cutting tools that I have collected from ebay beacuse many of the shop cutting tools hack and rub the work as opposed to actually cutting it. I used the wagon you see in the pics to haul my stuff back and forth.

Some more pics. Im going to use 203v geckos and some keling 425oz steppers. Im currently waiting on a CandCNC combo package to arrive but I heard that they are currently backordered so it might take a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails js57_IMG_1540.jpg   js57_IMG_1550.jpg   js57_IMG_1552.jpg   js57_IMG_1562.jpg