586,106 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Bob CAD woes

Page 1 of 2 12

Bob CAD woes

I have tried to load and run the Demo V22 about a dozen times. I have only been able to ''play'' with it one time. In that one time, I could not change from mm to inch. It would not let me define the center of a circle. ect. ect. Until finally I just gave up. I realize that the Demo is a limp version of the real thing. But what really bugs me is that even though I e-mailed my problems and concerns to my contact at Bob CAD, the only response I got was a ''discounted'' price. Initial the price started off at almost $2000.00, if I ''purchased today'' I could ''get in on an International order'' and only pay $380.00. That just raised too many flags for me. Honestly I would rather pay $2000.00 for something that actually works well and has somebody that can answer a few simple questions. Now before you start to think that maybe there was something lacking in my computer, I built this can myself and it has more than needed to run BobCAD.
    So with that in mind, what other CAD CAM systems are worth looking at ???

Thanks in advance,
    Martin

I'm using Alibre with Visual Mill 6. So far I'm liking it. It's not totally integrated as per say RhinoCam but it works for what I'm wanting to do. The CAD side is awesome with the parametric design of parts.

I purchased Bobcad in addition to what I have because of the equi-distance on the CAM side. I'm not planing to use the cad side except for when needed.

Learning Alibre was easy since it gave examples of actually making parts. The learning from BobCad has been sub par. Particularly on the CAM side. My though process is to use both CAM items for my operations.

Good luck in your search.

I use Alibre for more solids and get 2D parametric drawings from that. Then use Bobcad for some special surfacing where others fail (they have some nice features along that line). And Bobcad for the CAM part. Also AlibreCam is a very limited CAM addon.

With that said I have issues with what appears to be another attack on a company in their forum where people are trying to get help. Are you another advertiser? If not then would it not be better to get the advise in another forum where the ones using the other software are going? It seems it would be more likely that you would get opinions in the other forums for their software than from here.

If the software will not run on your system then there may be some reason that has nothing to do with Bobcad. There are a few people who can not get it to work but from what you said you just can not get it to do basic CAD. I would have to argue that the basic CAD features in Bobcad are very easy to use and work well. If you need some help getting the features to work then try getting an online DEMO with Bobcad.

I will use Bobcad to draw simple 2D forms because it is very easy to do. I also will use Bobcad when doing basic extruded solids because it is also very easy to do. (I use Alibre because of it's parametric design.)

I have tested Bobcad on 4 sepperate systems. Windows 2000, XP Pro, Vista basic, Vista Primium all worked on the first install with nothing more than a graphic glitch in the Vista Basic (a Vista theme problem well reported with other companies as well). (BTW: I built the 2000 and the XP systems)

Re-woes

No, I am not advertising anything.
    For fun I play with 1.5 inch scale, 7.5 inch gauge trains. In a mere fluke, I am picking up a Hurco CNC mill and a bench top CNC mill. These are for my train hobby and any other tinkering I might delve into. I have no plans for doing any commercial work with these CNC's at this time.
    Hence the importance for trying to find a simple, flexable, dependable and well supported system. Because I don't wish to spend a lot of time learning a system and when I have a simple question, a simple answer would do well, not another sales pitch touting more discounts.
    As a full time Realtor and a part time Registered Nurse, maybe I'm a little more service oriented than most.
    And just to answer the next question...Fresh out of high school, I went into a Mold Maker Apprenticeship and after 15 years in the trade, I got out. As it turnes out, one can get out of the trade but sometimes the trade won't leave you.
    So now it's a hobby and I make what I like, when I like.
    Thanks for asking.
    LocoMartin

I know what you mean. Been it it for 25 years myself and keep coming back.

There was a recent rash of what was obviously other companies coming into this forum to cut the software and to eventually advertise their own. It has turned many users away from this forum and the last person made threats to myself and others who tried to help. Only after a short while it was obvious they were lying and had never had Bobcad nor were they any type of machinist.

So what type of machining do you wish to attempt? Maybe Alibre could be something for you but the cost of the expert version that includes the limited machining may be more than you wish to pay. However for the cost it is still good.

Alibre has an Xpress version that is free (slightly limited though very functional) and once registered you can also export STP formats. Bobcad can open the STP files for machining. So for what I consider a very good deal is a free program to design and Bobcad for a nice CAM program.

Don't be fooled. For the cost it is very functional but requires getting it set the way you like. The full version of Bobcad is more than just a hobbiest program. We have machined many dies and molds using it with very good luck.

As for Alibre----it can be a very nice parametric program that does 99% of our design work. They have a forum here as well. Here is one design I did.

Not too complicated CAD

Like I stated before I play with scaled down live steam trains. Initially I wanted to be able to make a spoked wheel, similiar to a main driver but without a crank pin and counter balance. My gauge to finding an acceptable CAD CAM system was based around being able to profile/pick the spoked areas of this driver. I can to the diameters, tread, flange, and profiles with simple circular G code programs. But the spoke profile was the "big" challenge.
    I'm not trying to do fancy impellers or jet turbines. Most of my stuff is probably considered 2-D or slight veriations there of.
    Take Care,
    Martin

I would think the rounded spokes would require 3D.

Similar to basic 3D molds the contour would require Z axis simultaneous movement if you are machining this from a solid. Of course I am not thinking along the lines of trains.

Here is a very simple wheel (more like a wagon wheel though). This was done in Alibre but still could be done in Bobcad.

However if a train wheel did not have rounded spokes then 2D should work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wheel2.jpg  

LocoMartin,

It is interseting that you were not able to run the program. From what you have said it would seem that the system was unable to read/write to the registry. By default the system comes up in Inch mode (fresh install), so the fact that yours came up in mm mode thruws up a flag for me.

What OS are you running? Also, did you see any errors during the installation of the demo?

Before you ask, I do work for BobCAD and have for quite a while, but I am not here to sell anything. I am just here to make sure everybody gets all of the information they might need in regards to BobCAD.

Regards

The One,
    I purchased Bobcad V21. Had been a user since V14. I am still waiting for a reply from support. It would crash everytime I opened it. I still like the software, but it looks to me like they have focused more on a quick sale and support is no longer important after the sale. Not another dime will they see from my company.

(chair)

ktb100,

I might be able to help. What it is that you requested from the support department?

You can PM me if you would like as well.

Regards

When I click on the bobcad icon, I get the blue screen of death. After I downloaded the software, I called & was given the security keys. Software ran good until I rebooted. It has never worked since.

Quote Originally Posted by ktb100 View Post
    When I click on the bobcad icon, I get the blue screen of death. After I downloaded the software, I called & was given the security keys. Software ran good until I rebooted. It has never worked since.
    Just out of curiosity. How did you enter the codes if it windows locked up when starting Bobcad V21? You must start Bobcad to enter the codes.

'The One' may be able to help but he would need more info. What happens when you try to start Bobcad? Anything, system lockup, program lockup? How did you install? What OS are you using? How much ram? What type of video card and how much video ram?

You know, it would help if there were a troubleshooting form to fill out wouldn't it?

Smile

The One,
    I have upgraded from v21 to v22 and have problems with predator opening the older v17-v21 *cnc files that have been already been done and that the baud rate has been down graded. The demo version does not let you test these options. The only way to open the older files is to convert them to *.txt files. I have had no problems with the older programs opening perivous versions of *.cnc files. I have contacted the tech support about the problem and the first answer was to convert all the files. The second tech never called back with an answer. So far its been a down grade and not an upgrade.

In all fairness I should post this wheel done in just a few minutes in Bobcad V22. The older versions can also do this but would have to be rendered or viewed as a wire frame.

I did just take a snapshot of my screen so it would show that it was done in V22.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wheel.jpg  

OK, easy one first.

captain,

When you open the editor you have a blank screen. Click on File and then Open. In the Open File(s) dialog you should have a Files of Type drop down. At the bottom of that drop down should be an 'All Files (*.*)' option. This is the option you need to use to open the .cnc files.

**disclaimer**
    If you exported those files from BobCAD as .cnc files, chances are they have been encoded with a BobCAD proprietary format. Predator will open them, but they will look like garbage (no G-Code) because they are setup to maintain a relationship between the drawing and the code. In this case you would need to open the files in an earlier version of BobCAD and export them as a Text (ASCII) file.

ktb,

1) Have you called support? This issue does not require that you purchase additional support. It is of the utmost importance that you get the system up and running. If you haven't called support, please do.

2) What OS are you using (Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc...)?

I can help, I just need to dig a little deeper.

Regards

Yes I have called, left messages & emails. Gave up. Felt robbed. Bought mastercam.

Using windows XP, same system / PC is running the mastercam. No prob with the PC.

Smile

**disclaimer**
    If you exported those files from BobCAD as .cnc files, chances are they have been encoded with a BobCAD proprietary format. Predator will open them, but they will look like garbage (no G-Code) because they are setup to maintain a relationship between the drawing and the code. In this case you would need to open the files in an earlier version of BobCAD and export them as a Text (ASCII) file.

This is the exact problem and what I figured out. Bobcad should release the encoding script to Predator so it can open their *.cnc file. I should not have to go back and convert 300+ files, when they can do an easy script right.

ktb,

1) Have you called support? This issue does not require that you purchase additional support. It is of the utmost importance that you get the system up and running. If you haven't called support, please do.

I have contacted support and they could only come up with "go back and convert the files". The program will run but I have to convert old files, so right now I'm still using V21, because they refuse to help. On the faster baud rate thing it was only available with a Predator upgrade. I asked for a fix or my money back and they have denied BOTH.

2) What OS are you using (Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc...)?

I'm running XP & Vista Premium. But the problem is the same with either system.

Thanks for the input.

I have called tech support 3 times today and within 20 minutes they called me back each time to help. I'm still not getting what I need but they have got me closer each time. Now I think the problem is in the mach lathe post. Cause I can generate good tool paths in bob-cad v22 and use the preditor software to watch it cut the part out but when I generate g code and send it to the machine it cuts out the part down to the final profile in one pass( scary) will try work that out tomarrow. But in fairness tech support has been very helpful to me.

Page 1 of 2 12