586,096 active members*
3,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to use my custom CNC mill in manual mode?

Hi all, I hope this is just a noob question, but.....

I have a Grizzly 1007 2hp mill drill. I converted it to acme screws with twin ball nuts, my own motor mounts, a "camtronics" controller, and use Mach3 to run it. I don't actually CNC much stuff, and often want to use it manually, but don't have any dials or DRO.

Question is this:
    Is there a way to have Mach 3 running, but not "Arm" the motors so that when I turn the dials, the encoders feed back and act as a DRO? It seems crazy to have to add a DRO to use it manually, but I have no idea how to do this. Ideas?

Thanks!

You can still use it manually by pushing buttons rather than cranking any handles. You can turn the jog percent way down. You can use the MDI page to tell it where to go. If it's cnc'ed, you have dro's in Mach 3.
    This works great when not using code to do simple processes like cleaning up an edge or surfacing and squaring. I do this sometimes. You still have to figure out your speed and set your jog accordingly.

The wizards in Mach 3 are also quick and easy without complicated code. Just play with some of those and get to know how to use them.
    Now that I have a CNC mill, I ain't looking for any handles anymore.

I now hate the tailstock for drilling on my lathe. Guess what my next build will be?
    Lee

Thanks Lee. I've done that, but its just way slower than doing it manually on small parts. Back in the day, we had gotten a new CNC lathe at work, but turning digital dials has no feel. I really miss that, and on these crap tools and tooling its the only way I know to avoid breakage. I appreciate the suggestions, but still want to use it manually now and again.

Someone else also suggested putting a servo on the lathe tailstock - THAT is a good idea.. set it up for a peck cycle and go to town. I'm drilling .250 DIA x 2.750 holes and its a drag. Actually I need to get around to CNC'ing the lathe too... anybody done that to one of these Grizzlys? (12x37 gap bed, but not the cam lock one)