586,306 active members*
3,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC Guitar Website, New content is up!

Hi All,

Just a quick note (for those of you here who have been asking), that the new content is now ready on my site.

Have a looksy here:

http://www.cncguitar.org:7171/neck.htm

if you have any questions, please drop me a note as always.

Very nice videos, I might have to invest in one or two soonish.

Question, isn't neck machining also talked about in the guitar machining video?

and neck design in the guitar design video?

Not in the level of detail required. I have a very short video that shows a neck, and some of the steps I took to create it, but not any where near the detail required, since those videos are for guitars.

Many people have asked for the series to focus completely on necks, and hence why the new series was created.

Bottom line, the guitar videos are for guitars, the neck videos for necks.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgCNC View Post
    Bottom line, the guitar videos are for guitars, the neck videos for necks.

:-)

Necks are part of a guitar

Do you mean "guitar" videos deal mostly with the bodies?

Yes, sorry...I should have been more specific.

The guitar videos detail solid body electric guitar construction and machining.

The neck videos, detail the construction of guitar necks, Fretboards, and inlay.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification

Guitar and Neck Videos

Hey folks,
    Just a quick shout out regarding these videos. In a word, these are AWESOME. If you ever wanted to learn how to do 3D modeling of guitar bodies and necks but were afraid of the learning curve, you MUST take a look at these.

I have never touched or even seen how Solidworks works. After watching the vids, I was able to successful produce what seems to be a really nice version of a Telecaster-type body. I was so excited about this, that I HAD TO HAVE the latest vids on neck design using Solidworks. As soon as I got the notice that it was available, I ordered it. The quality and detail is even greater in this series of videos and I am half way through my first fingerboard and neck to fit the tele body.

At this point, I just cannot say enough about how much I've learned with using Solidworks in such a very short time. This would not be possible without these vids from CyborgCNC. AND if that weren't enough, the support has been phenomenal. I had some initial startup problems with Solidworks and Spiro helped me through it all even though the problem had nothing to do with his product. Spiro, you rock!

I should probably state that I have ABSOLUTELY no ties or affiliation with CyborgCNC. I'm just a happy customer who appreciates getting their money's worth. Bottom line....I would highly recommend these videos.

Joe

CyborgCNC, I'm pretty good at using Artcam for eveything but full 3D. It's very weird the way it operates. I have access to most CAD/CAM programs and what I'm very confused about it making a carved body, i.e. Les Paul carved top. Now most programs I've seen with video always talk about doing this and doing that but most of it free hand. I want to be able to make the carved top and tweak it until it's the exact right shape. Will your videos go extensively into building models and to machine carved tops? Thanks.

A program like Artcam like you said is good for art, but not for using it to make carved bodies like you mention. To do carved bodies, you will need the reference sketches and contours typicaly found in those bodies, and then using a parametric modeler (like solidworks) use those sketches to create a 3d part. You will need something like Solidworks, Alibre, or Rhino to achieve this (in my opinion).

My video shows two different methods one can use to carve the top of the body, and if those methods get extended, you can figure out how to use them to carve the top of a model like a les paul. I want to be VERY clear however, in that I DO NOT show in the video how to carve the top of a Les Paul. If there is interest, I can put together a short video set on JUST how to do a Les Paul (I have designed a Les Paul in Solidworks using the true plans for a 59 Les paul, and using the reference sketches there to precisely carve the top according to the plans).

Is this what you had in mind?

http://www.cncguitar.org:7171/lespaul

So I guess my answer is this: If you view my videos, and if you fully understand the concepts I am using to build guitars, you should be able to extend those concepts to create ANY guitar you like.

Yes that's what I had in mind. I was just using Les Paul as an example. I have been a luthier for over 15 years and just getting into CNC. I have a pretty good grasp just kind of clueless on how to contour a guitar top.

Could you clarify? I know you don't show how to do a les paul but you do go through how to go about drawing the carved top in CAD? What is the difference between your Guitar Design and your Guitar Machining Videos? Thanks. How quickly do you ship out?

Using Solidworks, I show how to first create a guitar body (using reference sketches) and then after this is done, I show how surfaces can be used to carve the top of a guitar body. I show two different carving methods, for two different effects. Using these methods, and with a little practice, one can extend this to carving any guitar top, to any shape one needs. This is what I meant by that. Again, I do not specifically show a Les-Paul, but the method can be used to carve a les paul from reference sketches (like for example from the plans).

This is the method I used to create the top I showed you in the link above. I simply acquired a 59 les paul plans, and then I scanned the plans into my computer. These became the reference sketches I then needed to go and create the top, the neck, the routes etc for the model I showed you.

"creation" can be described as a two part process:

1. The design phase, where a particular model is created
    2. The Machining phase, where this model is now bought to a CAM program for g-code creation, and ultimately machining on a mill or router.

These are the differences between my two videos: The first (design) talks about how to create guitar models using Solidworks. The second, now brings this model into Mastercam, where I show one how to create tool paths (machining instructions) and then generate the g-code. I even show how to bring the g-code into mach 3 to start cutting. I try not to leave anything out, and show the whole process for completeness.

So that is the difference between the two: One is design, the other is machining, hence their titles.

How fast do I ship? If you are in the US, your videos will be on your door step within 4 days.

Are you a Solidworks and Mastercam user?

Hi Spiro,

Just wanted to say I bought your Neck Design video and it is fantastic! I have been a Solidworks user for many years and you taught me a lot of tricks I had no idea could be done. The Neck video for me has been worth every penny I paid for it. Great job and keep them comming.

Do you think the program 3D Cut by vectric would be accurate enough to cut guitars?

Hi There,

I do not think that this is a question about accuracy, but rather one of functionality.

Although Vectric's software is GREAT at what I would consider "art" and such, I do not think it would lend itself easily to creating guitars, or other parts which require somewhat complex geometry.

On the other hand, the program would probably be great for creating inlay and such...

Others here might chime in if they have tried it.

CyborgCNC's right. Vectric's 3D Cut does not have the tools to cut a Guitar efficiently.

Which CAM software would you recommend that would provide the functionality at the best price.
    I use Rhino to do my 3D design.

Then by all means, you will need to take a look at this:

http://www.rhinocam.com/

Best bang for your buck, and will do a terrific job for creating g-code for your guitar designs.

That looks very interesting. Thank you for your help

RhinoCam or Mastercam would be the way to go for Guitar parts.

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Page 1 of 2 12