586,033 active members*
2,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 15 of 90 513141516172565
    Having the current set resistor on the motor side of the connector allows you to mix and match different motors to the G540 without having to worry if you have the correct resistor. It always rides with the motor it belongs to.

Mariss

can you provide a schematic of both ways in the manual? pictures always help.

joe

G250 Prototype Board Pictures

Well, we got the prototypes in and we will be building them up today and tomorrow. Just as a teaser until tomorrow afternoon, I took some pictures of the blank G250 PCB next to a blank G201 PCB. This should just give you a good idea of just how truly small this drive is!

-Marcus Freimanis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G250-G201.jpg  

Very impressive. I need a 4 axis kit , I really want to try it on my new "Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid" currently i run the g201's on it but i know people are waiting to see how the new drives will perform with the machine, I have used the HobbyCNC pro kit running unipolar at 305oz.in motors, and i jogged at 360ipm, so I'm very confident the new GeckoDrive G250 will work VERY well.

Joe

wow that is really tiny!!! so all those components are placed automatically? Like a pick and place robot? yeah it would be "fun" to place those yourself (and wouldn't be very productive).

so are those two holes meant for mounting? I plan on buying these individually so Ill need a way of mounting them.

I have always admired your layouts. Very efficient use of board space. The g250 looks like an other well done design.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Yes, those are all placed by a pick and place machine. We have two JUKI machines that place parts all day, which prevents my carpal tunnel syndrome from becoming aggravated. ;-)

Those two holes are screw holes for mounting the board to a heatsink or wherever you want to mount it.

-Marcus Freimanis

Marriss and Marcus

Like everyone I've been following this development closely and look forward to a finished product.

Since re-reading all the threads I'd like to be the first to offer up my homebuilt and controllers to beta test the new systems. I can provide details offline if your interested.

Thanks for all the efforts,
    Brian Green

Quote Originally Posted by greenb_60097 View Post
    Marriss and Marcus

Like everyone I've been following this development closely and look forward to a finished product.

Since re-reading all the threads I'd like to be the first to offer up my homebuilt and controllers to beta test the new systems. I can provide details offline if your interested.

Thanks for all the efforts,
    Brian Green
    Shucks, I thought i was the 1st in post #284 with my CNC 4x4 hybrid.... oh well. can i be second?

Joe

Well, here is a fully stuffed G250. We will have a 540 some time in the next week or two because of a little mess up with our prototype boards (we didn't get them yet). So until then, here is something pretty to look at!

-Marcus Freimanis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1389 small.jpg  

Tiny and sexy, They look good.

Joe

marcus
    any way we could get a really close -up of that itty bitty teeny weeny drive?(not micro scope but pretty close)..all that solder.... is there components at each solder point? or are they just solder bridges? really tiny stuff looks like a night-mare to build to me (but then all i do is hold a few tenths of a thousanth of an inch ) .really good work guys !
    "witty comment"

Better pictures are to come later, but because I have the tripod for my camera at home I can not take them now. Tomorrow I should have some better pictures up here. And yes, there are parts all over that board, they are just very tiny 0603 components.

-Marcus

As promised, here is the new picture. The match is just a standard match, and it should give you an idea of how truly small this thing is. Enjoy!

-Marcus Freimanis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1449 adjusted.jpg  

Super small very good.

How many layer this pcb?

Marcus,

Are those header pins spaced .1" or something else? Any suggestions on how we are going to hook these up? Are these drives going to be ready by Westec time so I can pick some up when I'm in So. Cal.?

Bob Hayes

bunalmis,

This is a 4-layer board, like all of our others. The G540 motherboard will be a 2-layer board because it doesn't need to do a whole lot.

bobchiloquin,

The header is a .1" spacing, and the pinout will be available some time tomorrow. I have no idea when Westec is, but the drive will be ready for production some time in the next several months.

We just met with some of our suppliers, and we should be getting parts for the machines fairly soon, then we have to program the machines, then test them, then play with more reflow through hole work, then troubleshoot the motherboard, and do a bunch of other things before they are ready for full on production. As you can see, we have quite a bit to do before they are ready, and they will basically be ready some time soon.

I also added a picture of the bottom of the board. This should let you know how tiny these IPACs are.

-Marcus Freimanis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1458 copy.jpg  

Looks really cool, now all we need is the 4 axis kit and we are all set

Joe

Marcus,

I'm a little confused. If you haven't programmed your pick and place machine yet, how did you build that sample board? Surely not hand solder.

Westec starts March 31, so I guess you won't have those boards done by then, and I won't have to figure out wheather you are in Tustin or Santa Ana.

Bob Hayes

Yep, every part was hand soldered. Because these are prototypes, they come in little individual boards rather than a panel of 12 like we put in the machine. 0603 parts are very, very small, and I thank God that I am not the one who had to do the soldering. Also, we do not take walk-in customers due to insurance requirements; getting yelled at by insurance companies scares me. ;-)

-Marcus Freimanis

Page 15 of 90 513141516172565